Filed under Featured Videos, News

YouTube Pacific Viperfish displays film-making creativity

Read and Watch Video by Grant Hietpas, Gabi Danielson, and Mya Lysne

Many students have edited or uploaded a video to Youtube either for school purposes or classes, as in video production, or for fun when they have down time. Seniors Miles Schindel, William Bestler and Victor Brasch have a channel called Pacific Viperfish films.

They use their channel to display their creative abilities to their viewers and subscribers. After using intricate strategies to create the foundation of their videos, they upload them for themselves to look back on.

These friends have been making videos since eighth grade.  Since then, all three want to go to college and strive to be filmmakers and in the film industry. They started their channel because they wanted to “archive and dump” their footage for them to look back on.

“It’s for like nobody that’s why we don’t really care if people see it,” Bestler said.  “We only upload it on the internet just so we can get easy access to them,” Schindel added.

These three mainly upload for personal use and to expand their knowledge and creativity into making films. Their inspiration was English teacher Andrew Smith.

“Mr. Smith told me to, he’s such an inspirational man,” Bestler said.

They describe their channel as being dark and random stories they come up with. The trio has a unique and creative way into making their storylines for their videos.

“I think of a video idea every day, just random things in my head… sitting down and writing a script and thinking of ideas is two different things because me personally I don’t write a script until I have like an image in my head and then it kinda just comes as I go along,” Bestler explained.

“One of our videos last year we did, we really liked one part of it and the rest of it we thought was kinda garbage, so we’re gonna like take the one part and build off of that” Schindel explained.

They regularly work with actors and include some of their friends as well. They use expensive equipment to make their videos.

“I’ve spent $1,000 on the lens, $500 on a tripod, and the rig was $300,” Brasch said. 

They all use Adobe as their editing equipment for their videos.  The group does not think Pacific Viperfish will really go anywhere because there is not much progression.  The friends are just using it as a base for their video production and film career.

“We’re constantly uploading, but I just don’t see it as a platform to build off really,” Schindel said. “I don’t see it beneficial to our filming career,” Bestler added on.

I really like film because it’s such a diverse platform for media like it’s writing, it’s music, it’s visuals all in one holistic experience and I think what film does, no other medium can do.”

— William Bestler

Each of them wants to go to college for filmmaking and pursue their dream for filmmaking and education there. Will wants to go to California, but says it is too expensive and the others are still deciding on other colleges.

“I don’t see myself anywhere else but film, I don’t want to go do a desk job, I don’t want to work at McDonald’s,” Bestler explained.

They are serious about their film career. Bestler and Brasch have been producers for their videos. Bestler has mostly been the main characters in all their films as well and  Schindel has been the freelance editor for the group. Over the summer, Schindel lived in New York for an internship as a video production assistant and made about $1,000 working there. They are really passionate about making videos and usually upload to Youtube whenever they finish their films. It can take up to three months to put in work to make the films.

Bestler said, “I really like film because it’s such a diverse platform for media like it’s writing, it’s music, it’s visuals all in one holistic experience and I think what film does, no other medium can do. I think it just evokes feelings on so many different levels like anybody can watch a movie and be moved by it you know, whether you’re a music person or photography or whatever, so I think that’s why I like film as an art form.”

Fotini Kloos, Announcements Editor

Fotini is and Announcements Editor and her main department is Student Life. Fotini likes driving, listening to music, hanging out with friends, meeting new people, socializing, shopping, and traveling. After school, she likes to hang out with friends, go to track and eat. Her favorite thing is being positive and finding the good in bad situations.

12 Responses to “YouTube Pacific Viperfish displays film-making creativity”

1. Hunter Hippel on December 17th, 2017 11:02 am

There were a lot of good quotes that gave detail, however the lead was very abrupt. I did like the length of the story though.

2. Ellie Faeth on December 17th, 2017 9:59 pm

This is a great article! I love the in-depth quotes you used. It makes the article very strong and a lot more interesting. This is an out-of-the-ordinary topic and you made this article worth the read. Way to pay attention to AP Style as well.

3. Rose Deziel on December 18th, 2017 12:01 am

This article was written really well! I liked how you added quotes from all three members of the channel. Also, the quotes were interesting and informative and instead of dull and generic. You did a great job of explaining the purpose of their channel, and even went into their plans for the future. The article was enjoyable to read.

4. Susan Hubbard on December 18th, 2017 12:08 am

The sentences could maybe have flowed better and some of the quotes weren’t the best (will’s first quote) but i think that this is a great story because those three are such great film makers and its very interesting to learn more about their futures!

5. Max Kennedy on December 18th, 2017 1:14 am

this was an unexpected story that turned out to be really interesting. You used compelling quotes that gave us the jist of things. I also thought that your lead and nutgraph was straight to the point and filled with facts. An all around solid article

6. Morgan Grim on December 18th, 2017 4:16 am

I really enjoy how you got them to talk about their passion in film making rather than just generic questions. I think this was very well researched and interesting to read. I also really enjoy the large quote on the side of the page. Really caught my eye and got me interested. Overall good story!

7. Rosalie Braun on December 18th, 2017 6:17 pm

The lead was a little short with not much background but other than that the facts and quotes were very well matched. I also like how you tied in how much they love to make films. It completely alters the story into passion and creativity rather than just video making. Great job 🙂

8. James Stahl on December 18th, 2017 7:13 pm

I liked the idea of this story but I feel like it was a little repetitive. Some more examples from their channel would have been nice too. Besides the negative, I liked how the article took a moment to look at their future and college choices.

9. Mason Wylie on December 18th, 2017 9:55 pm

I think that this article was very well put together. The transitions to each other paragraph made it soo easy to read, and the quotes tied in very well. I also enjoyed the fact that the questions weren’t bland and actually asked them about their passions and where they plan to go with it.

10. Daniel Schlenker on December 19th, 2017 7:57 am

There was a lot of good information but at the beginning the “school purposes or classes” seems a bit redundant. Bestlers first quote also could have been cleaned up. Along with that a earlier summary of their videos might have been nice but the link really solves that issue. Definitely a strong article.

11. Joshua Framke on December 19th, 2017 5:15 pm

It was a very well written story because it actually felt like a story, and the quotes were so good it just added onto that feeling.

12. Mark O'Shea on December 19th, 2017 9:18 pm

Article was very descriptive and informative. Loved the amount of quotes used, really helped tie everything togehter

• YouTube Pacific Viperfish displays film-making creativity

Featured Videos

Teachers learn about memes, share reactions

Musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ features new talent

EIC Column

EIC Column: Marching makes a major difference

Featured Videos

Krahn steals the show in spring musical

Featured Videos

BIZAA members fight human trafficking

One Act troupe brings life to ‘Metamorphoses’

Choir shows dedication to singing

Featured Videos

Teachers share most memorable career moments

Featured Videos

BSU helps promote awareness, diversity in community

• Featured Videos

Kroll makes a difference with prosthetic leg