Theatre practices immensely for ‘Les Miserables’

Seniors+Ben+Valerius+and+Abbe+McBride+practice+for+%22Les+Miserables%22.+This+is+one+of+the+theatre%27s+daily+practices+from+2%3A30-7%3A30+p.m.+in+the+auditorium.+

Seniors Ben Valerius and Abbe McBride practice for

Seniors Ben Valerius and Abbe McBride practice for "Les Miserables". This is one of the theatre's daily practices from 2:30-7:30 p.m. in the auditorium.

Photo by Claire Anderson

Photo by Claire Anderson

Photo by Claire Anderson

Claire Anderson, Field Reporter

“Les Miserables is extremely entertaining and thought-provoking,” theater director Grif Sadow said.

The spring performance of “Les Miserables” will be put on the first two weekends of April by SAHS theatre. The play will be from 7-8 p.m. in the auditorium. Tickets have been available since March 4. They are $5 for students and $10 for adults.

The cast of “Les Miserables” has practiced every day after school from 2:30-7:30 p.m. for over two months. They put in an immense extent of dedication and hard work behind the production of the play.

“There is a lot, a lot of work that goes into this,” senior Abbe McBride said. Every person puts in a great deal of effort into the production to make it run smoothly.

In addition, because of how difficult it is to execute and it is rarely performed, students, staff and families can come to see “Les Miserables”.

The two ways to watch the play put on live now are “professional touring productions from Broadway or a high school production,” Sadow said. The play is uncommon but outstanding.

This play consists of primarily singing, therefore, the cast has to practice endlessly. They even have vocal coaches to help make them perform this play well.

They are singing constantly which is a new challenge for all of them.”

— Grif Sadow

The play is extremely challenging and “they are singing constantly which is a new challenge for all of them,” Sadow said.

However, they not only hired vocal coaches, but also Nate Ramsayer, an Education Administrator, Singer, Actor, and Lecturer, who helped put on “Les Miserables” in the past in Boston, Massachusetts. He flew props to theatre that were used in the Boston performance of the play in 2013.

During the play in the barricade scenes they are using Ramsayer’s prop muskets he flew to the high school, senior John Caskey explained.

The cast put in an abundance amount of time and effort to prepare for this play. People can buy tickets for $5 to $10 now for the play, furthermore, being performed at the beginning of April.

Claire Anderson, Field Reporter

I am Claire Anderson. I am a junior and a Field Reporter for Pony Express. I am apart of BIZAA club. I love to hang out with friends and take pictures....