‘Pippin’: cast prepares for spring musical

Lydia Standard, Mariah Marsnik and McKenna Wohlers

Pippin the musical comes this spring 2017. The five time Tony Award winning musical will be put on by students this spring in the auditorium.

Auditions took place on Dec. 8 and 9 for Katelyn Larson, the choir director, and Grif Sadow, the theatre director. A lot of students showed up to the auditions to show off the talent they possess. For the auditions, Larson played the piano for the song called Morning Glow while students sang for her and Sadow.

Junior Paige Yangwakue was at the auditions on Dec. 9. “I thought that it would be a fun experience to get to know other people who are interested in the same things as I am,” Yangwakue said.

Getting involved in school activities is a great way to make new friends. Auditionees know they have something in common with others right away because they are involved in something others like to do too.

Pippin is about a young man whose father is Charlemagne. Pippin falls in love with a girl named Katherine and finds a purpose in his life.

“A story of some historical basis in the medieval tomes in the rain of Charlemagne and his son Pippin. There’s really no historical authenticity to the story of the musical,” Sadow said. “It’s about a young man who just graduated from college and trying to search for his purpose, his meaning; he’s trying to find love and figure out life. He’s just kinda pulled into this adventure to try to figure out what makes him happy.”

Pippin is a very acrobatic musical and supposedly very funny as well. It involves all three of the fine art departments at SAHS with choral, acting and instrumental with the pit orchestra, directed by Zach Sawyer.

“The musical is an opportunity for all three of our departments, instrumental, choral, theatre, to collaborate and come together so I was looking for something that was challenging, vocally, instrumentally and acting wise but also had strong issues and messages and could really impact and educate audiences and the students,” said Sadow.

To prepare for a musical can be hard work depending on the part the student lands. Yangwakue said to prepare she was, “running scales and looking over the script.” She prepared for the musical with whatever part she may land.

When the play comes out, the community will be amazed at what the SAHS musicians and actors can do. Pippin is a great chance for community members to see this and experience a soon to be wonderful play.

Shows a student auditioning for the musical playing the piano to learn the right pitch for the music they are given, and other students practicing their parts in the background, and interacting with each other.