Musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ features new talent

Madison Weispfenning, Editorial Cartoonist

The theater department is hard at work preparing for the spring musical “Bye Bye Birdie”. Originally performed as a Broadway show called “Let’s Go Steady” in 1960, “Bye Bye Birdie” eventually became a musical movie known for their Elvis-based character Conrad Birdie.

Bye Bye Birdie’s Elvis-like character is portrayed by senior and first time performer Isaac Krahn. His first-time acting experience involves many screaming, hysterical, teenage girls. His music producer, Albert, portrayed by junior Ben Valerius, and his secretary/girlfriend, Rosie, portrayed by junior Mya Lysne, attempt to have one last big publicity stunt for Birdie before he goes to war by having him kiss one of his adoring fans goodbye.

Kim MacAfee, played by senior Sophie Vogel, is supposed to be Birdie’s last kiss, but her relationship with Hugo Peabody, played by first time performer and junior Thomas Haggard, slowly falls apart. All relationships in this show are tested and pushed to see how far they will go.

[The show is] playful, enjoyable, cheerful, groovy and moderately annoying. Once everyone is being as bright and ugly [musically] as they need to be [Telephone Hour] is a wonderful song to be a part of.”

— Ethan King

“[The show is] playful, enjoyable, cheerful, groovy and moderately annoying. Once everyone is being as bright and ugly [musically] as they need to be [ Telephone Hour ] is a wonderful song to be a part of,” junior and first time actor Ethan King said.

As the third song in the musical, “Telephone Hour” shows the close-knit community of Sweet Apple, Ohio. All of the teenage boys and girls of the town sing about Kim and Hugo becoming official.

“It’s very tricky to sing and dance at the same time and of course some people are better at it than others, but I think as a whole it’s coming along,” stage manager freshman Elsa Martin said.

The dances are done at high intensity and the musical pieces are sung at full ability. Bringing the two together is the hardest mash-up to accomplish for a musical actor. While dancing, actors have to make it seem as if they are not out of breath. In preparation for that Director Grif Sadow tells his actors to try to sing while they workout to get their voices and bodies use to the movement.

“During tech week I’m going to plan on doing my homework during my dinner break,” King said. “Or I’m going to plan on just crying and doing it at 3 a.m.,” King said.

During tech week, the cast can stay as late as 9 p.m. after school. Tech week is made for the technicians to run the show and learn their cues for lights and sound effects. This is also used for the pit orchestra, directed by Dennis Lindsay, to rehearse with the cast on stage and on cue. A majority of the actors consider tech week to be a stressful time, especially to fix the little things missed in rehearsals.

“I’m completely set on the time requirement, but just not the amount of energy and effort that pours out of us on tech week,” sophomore Fayuma Felema said. He will be performing in his first show in this spring musical.

At this point in the show, the cast is working on fixing minor errors and perfecting their pieces. “Bye Bye Birdie” will be performed on April 6-8 with two shows on the April 7. The tickets are $10 for adults, $6 for seniors and $5 for students.

“The shows are always a blast,” Martin said.

Alternative Copy Story by Gabi Danielson

4 Responses to “Musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ features new talent”

1. Wyatt Wasko on April 11th, 2018 9:00 am

This story was very well done in my opinion. The background information that was given helps the readers know what exactly the play revolves around and also lets the reader know what to expect if ever seeing the play.

Also the story tells the reader when the play is being held so that the readers if interested can go see the play.

2. Gabrielle Danielson on April 11th, 2018 12:11 pm

I really like how Madison wrote this article. It explains very clearly what the show is about but also lets us know that some of the stars are first time performers which I think is so cool. This piece came together very smoothly and I love it.

3. Benjamin Valerius on April 15th, 2018 10:33 am

I like how this story takes a specific theme and focus on the new talent featured in Bye Bye Birdie, but also explains about the show and the theatre department in general!

4. Malaina Fragnito on April 19th, 2018 9:53 am

I like that this story highlights the new talent that is being discovered at our school. It is very well written and informative. I also enjoyed that the story focuses on the hard work that goes into dancing and signing at the same time because not a lot of people realize the time and hard work that goes into putting on a production.

• Musical ‘Bye Bye Birdie’ features new talent

Lea Brynestad uses art background to create a book

French exchange students reveal favorite musicians

Art Cart gives children a chance to create

Fortnite action survival game rises in popularity

Students cast in Phipps production ‘Once Upon A Mattress’

Academy Awards showcase best aspects of film industry

Changes to popular music over time

Community offers events for ‘I Love to Read Month’

Marvel’s newest edition ‘Black Panther’ looks to make a bang in viewers’ eyes

February marks beginning of Black History Month