Raising Cane’s chicken, a local favorite

Hailey Laubscher, Pony Express TV Broadcaster

,

Craig Sanislo and Hailey Laubscher

Students have begun a new trend, driving 30 minutes just for a fried chicken meal. Raising Cane’s is a fast-food restaurant that has good quality fried chicken meals, for reasonable prices. Raising Cane’s, or Cane’s, was founded in Louisiana in 1996, and now has sites all over the nation, including a restaurant in Shoreview and also Minneapolis. Stillwater students have become obsessed with the juicy chicken, fries and bread that comes with each meal.

The popularity of Cane’s has prompted students to drive up to 30 minutes, just for a simple meal. However, after trying the food, it is easy to see why. There are only five options on the menu, as well as a large platter of Cane’s chicken tenders for catering events. Because of the simplicity, people are amazed at the quality and speed they get their meal. Raising Cane’s has definitely perfected fried chicken.

People are willing to drive that far because it’s great chicken. It’s also very simple to order, because there’s only 4 things on the menu. There’s no other restaurant like it. My friends and I all agreed it was the best chicken we have ever eaten.”

— Jack Seipl

Raising Cane’s chicken comes from quality chicken and is not as greasy as other types of fried chicken. Cane’s has perfected the batter and recipe, due to the fact that there are only a couple choices in what one can order.

Senior Kristin Nielson said, “It’s the best because it’s not super fried like some other chicken, it’s mostly white meat.”

Students have spread the word about Cane’s over social media and word of mouth. This has created a buzz, and Cane’s is more popular than ever in Stillwater.

Junior Chloe Zurn said, “I first saw something about Cane’s over Snapchat and then I went with a group of people for my first time so they introduced me to it.”

There are multiple places closer to Stillwater to get a good dinner or lunch, however, some students prefer to drive the 30 minutes to Shoreview, or downtown Minneapolis for this unique fried chicken meal.

Sophomore Jack Seipel said, “People are willing to drive that far because it’s great chicken. It’s also very simple to order, because there’s only 4 things on the menu. There’s no other restaurant like it. My friends and I all agreed it was the best chicken we have ever eaten.”

There are three main parts to a Cane’s chicken meal: the Texas Toast bread, crinkle cut fries, and, of course, the fried chicken fingers. Each person has their own favorite aspect of the meal, to find yours you’ll have to check out Raising Cane’s for yourself.

Neilson said, “My favorite part is the Texas Toast, but I also love the chicken. I order their honey mustard sauce which costs extra but tastes so good with the chicken.”

As the popularity of this restaurant grows, more people will learn about what makes Cane’s so special.

Seipel said, “Cane’s will continue to be extremely popular because to me, it’s the greatest piece of chickeny goodness I have ever eaten.”

Junior Danielle Keran is getting ready to order her meal. "Canes chicken is my favorite chicken", says Keran. Many students have become fans of Canes and choose Canes when they want to go out to eat.

11 Responses to “Raising Cane’s chicken, a local favorite”

1. Elana Ross on January 17th, 2017 8:29 pm

This article is very strong; it is very well written and informative. I have been going to Cane’s a lot recently with friends so it was nice to learn more about the history of it. Hailey had very detailed quotes as well.

2. Jack Reinseth on January 17th, 2017 11:18 pm

Article is very well put together, written very well and easy to read. It is very informative and up to date. Gives good information and has good quotes to go along with them.

3. Kaitlyn Launderville on January 18th, 2017 7:46 pm

Nice detailed quotes and very informative. I learned a lot about Canes that I didn’t recently know. Very well written.

4. Hailey Buelow on January 22nd, 2017 10:18 pm

great article with great information and worded super well! All the information is there but the article isn’t drawn out, flows super well and great quotes!

5. Olivia Knox on January 30th, 2017 9:32 am

I like how you used specific facts about where it originated and when it originated, and also how far students are driving just to get the food. The facts made the story stand out.

6. Emmanuel Kamara on February 5th, 2017 10:10 pm

Great job with this article, i have not been there before but i have heard all good things about it, nice job getting some great quotes my favorite is the one with the Texas Toast. Bravo

7. Noah Ness on February 7th, 2017 11:12 am

It was obvious that you did your research on the restaurant, and the article provided really good feedback on the food and included other students perspectives on it so the reader could hear from multiple sources when deciding whether to go to the restaurant or not.

8. Kleio Vrohidis on February 9th, 2017 7:58 am

I loved this article because it made it seem like I was at Cane’s. The quotes you used were original and provided detail about why students like to eat there.

9. Jake Caywood on February 9th, 2017 10:28 am

I liked this article a lot because I can personally relate to it which made it very interesting and fun to read. This article is very well written and explains the Raising Canes trend very well, also there is a good flow throughout the article which made it a very easy read.

10. Craig Sanislo on February 9th, 2017 5:27 pm

I liked how Hailey included a little background history of Raisin’ Canes, and it was obvious that she very carefully selected who she wanted to interview, in order to give the best information about Raisin’ Canes.

11. Josh Bauer on February 13th, 2017 1:38 pm

Great article, the author really did her research on the restaurant chain and everything about it. Great formatting and the author really knows what she is doing.

• Raising Cane’s chicken, a local favorite

Read & Watch

Ultimate frisbee team gains momentum

Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Photo Slide Shows

Boys basketball starts off behind, looking to improve

Read & Watch

Open campus for lunch will cause problems

Violent protests break apart American trust

Photo Slide Shows

Nordic Skiing teams looking ahead to new season

Locker Room

Jingco’s basketball talent carries team

Read & Watch

Students take a liking to Nutrition Revolution

Locker Room

Raleigh accepted on varsity hockey team

‘Pippin’: cast prepares for spring musical