Hockey Day glides into Stillwater

Elise Luoma, Student Playlist Editor

The 11th annual Hockey Day Minnesota made a presence in downtown Stillwater. This event involves various games from high school, university alumni, college and professional hockey teams. It is broadcasted each year, and receives national coverage. Since 2007, the event has taken place in cities from St. Paul to Lake Minnetonka/Excelsior to Duluth.

With the high ranking of the boys team, high hopes were in store for the game against Eden Prairie. Eden Prairie took the win with a final score of 4-1. Despite the loss, this event’s results doesn’t have an effect on the regular season. Senior captains Noah Cates and Luke Manning have had a strong lead on the team.

Captains Olivia Konigson and Claire Knowlan led the girls team to a victory. With a final score of 2-0 against Minnetonka, it brought attention to the team.

Konigson said, “It is such a privilege and great responsibility to be captain of the girls hockey team alongside my co-captain [Knowlan]. Being able to help lead and represent your team is something that we take pride in.” Konigson enjoys being able to lead the team and this event has caused publicity for the team.

I think Stillwater is a beautiful historical landmark that ties to the history of Minnesota. The St. Croix River and Lift Bridge set the perfect backdrop to the event and what better place to host Hockey Day than the birthplace of the Minnesota.

— Olivia Konigson

This event brought in the Korean National Team, a game between the Wisconsin Badgers and Gophers alumni took place and many more. The community helped with the event as many businesses promoted it by selling apparel. The attendance of the event brought in over 5,000 people and the ice castles near the event’s location- Lowell Park were expected to bring in more people, but the warm weather conditions caused it to be temporarily closed.

Cates said, “Being named captain has been special and rewarding. The season has been great so far [and] the team is doing well and we’ve been having a lot of fun.” The strong results of the season has people excited and supporting the team.

Both the girls and boys teams have high hopes for the rest of the season and they experienced a once-in-a-lifetime hometown hockey celebration.

Konigson said, “I think Stillwater is a beautiful historical landmark that ties to the history of Minnesota. The St. Croix River and Lift Bridge set the perfect backdrop to the event and what better place to host Hockey Day than the birthplace of the Minnesota.” The unique location attracted many people with it is historical ties.

Hockey Day involved more than hockey- spectators were able to experience vendor tents, ice sculptures and a giant fire pit. It brought attention to Stillwater and its legacy has an impact on events for days to come.