FLEX Time utilizes new FlexiSCHED software

Gavan Townsend, Camera Editor

The administration has changed the way FLEX Time works in their recent iteration that is going to take place during the 18-19 school year. Students, teachers and staff have wanted these changes to occur since last school year ended, but some are still skeptical as to whether or not they will be exceptional or unacceptable changes.

Many are uneasy as to whether or not FLEX Time will be as good as last year. Even when adult advocate has been eradicated, they still fill that there may not be enough time in the day. There have been many changes that students seem to like such as EduPass being removed, and being replaced with a new and improved web-based app FlexiSCHED.

Photo by Lilly Sample
Students now use a new website called FlexiSCHED so the school email to track attendance. This replaced EduPass, which was not a stable platform.

Some students are skeptical as to whether or not they will have enough time to accomplish what they need to. Many students use FLEX as a time to make up quizzes, tests or labs, but the reduction in the amount of days during the week could make that difficult for some students.

“I think it might be a bit much. But if you had say, a small quiz, and two classes that you had to redo, then that would be impossible if we’re still doing you can always sign up for one class in the whole flex time. But then again, there’s still after school. So I think it’ll be okay. But there might be some small conflicts with it,” junior Mitch Ardolf said.

The administration has thought long and hard over the summer as to what to change about FLEX. Before the 17-18 school year ended, students were encouraged to take surveys on the topic. These surveys helped the administration figure out what to keep, discard, or change. Teachers also had a voice during the changes, and felt that they need more time to fit everything into the school year.

“We had an affinity group of people that consisted of students, teachers, and staff for the sole purpose of getting a year’s worth of FLEX Time,” Assistant Principal Matt Kraft said.

The extension of FLEX, but the fewer days, has given teachers more time. Due to there being less time dedicated to FLEX, teachers will be able to fit more learning targets into their curriculum and help their students more if they are struggling. This will hopefully slow the rush of trying to get all the information out that is needed for state standards.

“Anytime I can get more time working with my students during a structured class hours is good,” U.S. history teacher Ryan Miller said.

FLEX Time will continue to be improved over the school year. The administration will roll out new iterations of FLEX as more feedback is introduced by teachers, students and other staff members.

About the Contributors
Gavan Townsend, Camera Editor

Hi! My name is Gavan Townsend, and I'm a junior. I'm a camera editor for the Pony Express. I like to draw and drive around in my free time. I love hanging...

Lilly Sample, Editor-in-Chief

Lilly Sample, a senior, is an Online Editor-in-Chief for the Pony Express. Aside from working on the newspaper and Pony Express website, she volunteers...

Hannah Sween, Editor-in-Chief

Hannah Sween is a senior and a Print Editor-in-Chief for the Stillwater Pony Express. She is also the Editor-in-Chief of The Boom Site Literary Magazine....