Flex time activities keep students engaged

Ike Gunderson, Online Editor

This year flex time was implemented and the focus is equity and students finding their passion. The overwhelmingly positive response raises the question: What are kids doing during flex time? The Pioneer Press recently released an article which dives into this issue and describes what the most popular activities are.

Every teacher is required to run an activity once a week in flex time and students go to flex time every Tuesday and Thursday. The 40-minute block takes away a total of 2 weeks worth of class time from each other class, so there must be some significant increase in stress and equity.

One new activity offered during flex time is yoga. Yoga meets every Thursday and is taught by English teacher Chelsea Dodds. Many studies show that it can help to reduce stress and increase productivity. Yoga gives students an opportunity to take advantage of all the benefits of yoga, while not missing any class time.

“The few people that I have coming every week are definitely craving it by the time Thursday comes around,” Dodds said. “After we have done yoga they feel better about their day or the week as a whole.”

Flex time reduces stress not only by adding time to participate in calming activities, but also to finish homework and retake tests. Retaking tests especially helps kids who either take the bus home or who participate in a sport after school. Biology teacher Andrew Weaver teaches all AP classes and realizes how important this extra time can be for some students.

Some kids, if you ride the bus or if you really struggle and really need the contact time, this is a great time for them.

— Andrew Weaver

“I usually have 2 or 3 kids that will come in and make up a test, which is great,” Weaver said. “Some kids, if you ride the bus or if you really struggle and really need the contact time, this is a great time for them.”

For the kids that do not need any more time for academic support, they are encouraged to join a club. Many clubs have experienced a boost in members as a result of in-school meetings, such as video gaming club which regularly experiences 40 plus students attending.

“I think for the kids that want to go home right after school, but still have some incentive to join an activity for one reason or another may start coming to more activities because of flex time,” Shamus Boe said.

Flex time pushes students to expand their comfort zone and help stress and grades at the same time.

Dodds explained, “Flex time is a good way to explore new options and kids could be interested or could just try something if they wanted to.”