Juniors Madison Olson and Ava Aspengren exploring opportunities at the College Fair. Standing next to University of Minnesota booth listening in on  future career paths.
Juniors Madison Olson and Ava Aspengren exploring opportunities at the College Fair. Standing next to University of Minnesota booth listening in on future career paths.
Photo by Anna Agnessi

College Fair offers new beginnings

Prepare to map out academic journeys with the approaching College Fair on Feb. 26, 8:00-9:30 a.m. in the gymnasiums. 

With over 80 local and national colleges, students are welcome to explore an array of educational opportunities that will shape their future paths. This event is a gateway for both information and connecting eager minds with advisors that can answer all college related questions.

Attending a College Fair in person provides an invaluable and immersive experience that goes beyond online research. Beyond Google searches, engaging with representatives face-to-face allows for a more personalized exchange of information. Conversations with college representatives can expose unique aspects and opportunities specific to the school, offering insights that may not be available on the internet. The experience of walking through the fair can expose students to colleges they might not have discovered otherwise, broadening their perspective and potential choices for their academic journey.

“It can give you a lot of different options being able to talk in person rather than exploring Google,” graduate Lily Anderson said.

The College Fair dynamic changes each year as it rotates hosts, bringing a diverse mix of local and national colleges into the spotlight. This annual tradition ensures a varied representation of schools, showing many different opportunities for attending students. “Students can go to neighboring high schools since the fair isn’t always at our school,” counselor Alec Shern added.

Colleges from across the country contribute to the fair, creating a platform where students can explore educational possibilities spanning from California.

Picking the college I want to go to will impact my future and I recommend students to attend because you get a feel for where you want to go.”

— Madison Olson

To maximize student participation in the upcoming College Fair, the coordinators of the fair which include Guidance Counselors Dan Ralston, Shern, College and Career Center admin Amanda Gahlon have implemented a multifaceted promotional strategy. Informative flyers around the school, ensuring that every student is visually connected to the event. Collaborating closely with teachers and guidance counselors, the College Fair information is made into classroom discussions and announcements, enhancing its value. Newsletters have been sent out that include timely details about the Fair. 

Recognizing the value of one-on-one advising sessions, the fair extends beyond an information hub, offering personalized guidance in college and career exploration, resume crafting, interview preparation, and unlocking internship opportunities Gahlon explained.

The annual College Fair orchestrated by the Minnesota Colleges Board shows as a collaborative effort, beginning with an invitation extended to national colleges. The planning started last spring, marking a meticulous process to ensure a comprehensive and enriching experience for attending students. Colleges, upon receiving the invitation, sign up for the fair and are provided with a detailed packet outlining the protocols. This packet serves as a guide, specifying what aspects of academics and extracurricular activities each college is expected to share. The emphasis on diversity ensures a broad spectrum of information presented. Colleges are encouraged to represent their institutions fully, showing a commitment to engaging students in all parts of campus life. This thoughtful planning guarantees that the college fair becomes a platform not just for information but for representation and meaningful interaction.

“A challenge was coordinating through the different entities and making sure we have everything in place,” Shern said.

The College Fair proved to be a helpful resource for junior Madison Olson, as it helped her pinpoint her major and better understand her career path, the fair provided a platform for exploration. Among the booths she visited, Grand Canyon University stood out as her favorite. The genuine interest shown by the representative left a lasting impression. Olson expressed appreciation for the personal touch in her interaction, “the lady at the Grand Canyon booth not only answered questions but took the time to get to know me,” Olson explained.

“Picking the college I want to go to will impact my future and I recommend students to attend because you get a feel for where you want to go,” Olson said.