Why students join the military

Luke Higgins, Distribution reporter

On average, four to five percent of a high school graduating class enlists in the military. At Stillwater Area High School, an average of five to six percent of the graduating class enlists in the military, putting our school slightly above average. Most military recruits come from high schools or young adults just out of high school.

This year, 16 students from the graduating class of 2018 have been recorded as enlisting in the military. The students are enlisted in four of the five branches: Army, Marines, Navy and National Guard.  

What are your plans after high school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The United States military has approximately 1,400,000 enlisted active duty service members, with an additional 865,000 reserve members. This makes us one of the strongest military forces in the world. There are five branches of the military, in order from most popular to least. It starts with the Armythen the Marines, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. They all play a very important role in our military and help keep our country safe.

Senior Brooklyn Borsheim has been in the Army National Guard for just little over a year. Borsheim enlisted at the age of 17 her junior year of high school. So far Borsheim has been enjoying being in the Army National Guard and hopes to keep doing it.

“It’s more family-oriented and you have more time, it’s not one-hundred percent of your time. You only serve one weekend a month and two weeks every summer. You can still go to college and have more of your own time and you can be more independent,” Borsheim explained.

Borsheim enjoys pushing herself to new limits, which is why she joined the military. She is always up for a new challenge and to try new things.

“I’ve always been interested in different experiences and trying new things especially things that push myself and to see what I’m capable of and also to prove to my family that I can do something like that,” Borsheim said.

Freshman Jack McHenry is 15 years old and already knows what he wants to do with his life after high school. McHenry plans on joining the U.S. Army, as a Combat Engineer. McHenry has already started to train himself physically by running and lifting weights. Combat Engineers are soldiers that either blow things up or build things, they are often under fire while they are doing their job.

I’ve always been interested in different experiences and trying new things especially things that push myself and to see what I’m capable of and also to prove to my family that I can do something like that.”

— Brooklyn Borsheim

“You can get in and still do something with your brain unlike the Marines and you don’t have to go full brain like you would Airforce or Navy,” McHenry said.

McHenry is worried that since his job is popular, he might have to take a support role. McHenry understands that with his job he will be one of the first ones in, meaning he will most likely get shot at. Despite the dangers, McHenry is still excited to join and serve his country.

“It just be fun and go over there and build some stuff that isn’t supposed to be there, maybe blow some stuff up,” McHenry said.

Sophomore Devin Spaulding wants to join the U.S. Marine Corps; Spaulding knew he wanted to join the Marines ever since he was in elementary school. Spaulding wants to become an Engineer within the Marines to better himself for after the military when he becomes an Auto Tech Engineer in the civilian world. Spaulding is passionate about the Marines and believes they are the best of the best.

“Because I feel like they’re just better in some ways and they’re just unique, they just do everything harder,” Spaulding said.

Spaulding is very openly passionate about the love he has for his country and is extremely excited to be able to serve his country. He is actively bettering himself physically to prepare himself for the Marines. He participates in PT with a Marine unit, goes on self-ruck marches and is in the school’s weightlifting & conditioning class.

“I’m excited to see new things, meet new people, shoot stuff; I’m nervous about messing up and meeting the physical criteria,” Spaulding said.

Spaulding believes everyone should serve in the military; he thinks we all owe it to our country for being able to live freely.

“I just feel like I have to do something for my country and not just stay at home and game away my life,” Spaulding said.

Luke Higgins, Distribution Reporter
Luke Higgins is a distribution reporter in the Arts and Entertainment department. His hobby is hunting. His favorite thing is being in the woods.