Student Council hosts first Homecoming dance in six years

Student+Council+hosts+first+Homecoming+dance+in+six+years.+

Megan Aller

Student Council hosts first Homecoming dance in six years.

Stillwater Area High School hosted its first Homecoming dance in six years. The dance was held at the high school’s gymnasium on  Sept. 27.

At the dance, Jack Witte, Pete Smith, John Talbot and Zach Knox were nominated for King. Montana Day, Alaina Friedrich, Andrea Rustad and Jamie Purdie were nominated for Queen as part of the homecoming court. The King and Queen were then announced on Oct. 3. The dance was sold out and seemed to be a success as well as a fun time for many.

Up until now, there has not been a Homecoming dance due to lack of interest as well as a low attendance at the last homecoming dance that occurred.  With the last dance in 2008, not having very successful results, the Student Council decided it was best to not continue it. Now, with a push from the community and the students, the Homecoming Dance has come back to Stillwater.

With encouragement from the community and student body, the  Homecoming dance has started up again. Student Council leader Dusty Dennis said,  “There’s a big push from the community and the Ponies Touchdown Club, as well as the principal.” The dance sold out  and was a reassurance to the student council board that it was a good idea and that it was something people wanted back at the school.

The Homecoming Court was announced at the dance. In recent years the Homecoming Court was announced in other ways and the King and Queen were announced at the pep fest. This year with the homecoming dance the court was announced at the dance which was the kick off to Homecoming week.

“It was a nice way to start the Homecoming week with the court nominations,” said Sarah Ogren (’16).  With the Homecoming court being announced at the dance, it allowed for all of Homecoming week to give people the chance to vote for who they wanted to be the Homecoming King and Queen.

The dance was held in the SAHS gymnasium, and although it seemed to be a place that cannot be jazzed up they were able to change the gym into a different place. The Student Council set up the dance with streamers, lights, stars, and other decorative items, the gym floors were  covered with red tarps which added to the theme.

Students seemed overall impressed with what had happened to the gym. April Driscoll (’16) said,  “It looked like it was going to be a fun time and the decorations were pretty cool.”

The Homecoming dance seemed to be a event that is here to stay after the successful results this year. With the dance’s decorations, music, photo booth and dancing, it seemed to be a great event that students enjoyed.  There are suggestions of ways to improve and add to the dance to make it an even better event for the years to come.