Stillwater Pony Express

Movies at Matt’s gives locals a blast from the past

Matt’s Basement, located downtown Stillwater, has recently began to host Movies at Matt’s on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. Older classic movies are screened for locals to come and enjoy. Tickets are $2 for entry and movie watchers have the option to order waffles, drinks and popcorn right to their seats to enjoy during the movie.

Matt’s Basement holds weekly contests on Instagram for a chance to win two tickets; by tagging a friend in the post you get the chance to win in the drawing. Social media is the main place to find all events happening at Matt’s Basement.

Although Matt’s Basement is newer to the town, it has made its mark in Stillwater. With over 1,800 followers on Instagram, this small town cafe has turned a dream into reality, allowing customers of all ages to connect and bond with each other. Whether it is over games, foods or movies, Matt’s Basement is so much more than another cafe. It is a social scene where anyone can connect with others.

This weeks movie being played was “Tropic Thunder”. Released in 2008, Tropic Thunder is a classic action comedy with some of the most well known actors including Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr.

Movies at Matt’s has a seat for everyone to enjoy.”

— Lainey Zinda

“Tropic Thunder” is about a group of actors working on set to make a war movie, while filming the director decides the movie is not living up to the standards he wants and attempts to liven up the film. The director decides to drop the actors off in the middle of a real jungle in hopes of catching real authentic footage for the film with hidden cameras. The group of actors continue their movie completely unaware that they have been placed in the middle of a real war zone.

This action-comedy had a lot of ups and downs, but overall had a lot of good laughs throughout. “Tropic Thunder” has had a lot of controversy since released. Specifically for Rdj’s portrayal of a differently abled character and the use of derogatory slurs throughout. While the actor himself did not receive as much backlash as the producers, movie watchers did not respond well to this even though it was meant to be comical.

The overall ambiance of Matt’s Basement is a laid back hangout spot for people of all ages, teens are drawn towards the cool and fun drink selection of boba, teas and lattes. Where as adults are more drawn to the nostalgic games like Battleship, Sorry and Scrabble. The place where all ages can come together is the food.

Food at Matt’s Basement is a variety of breakfast, with their staple being the Gourmet Bubble Waffles. The waffles can be ordered plain to enjoy, or if feeling adventurous, try the more intricate kinds like bananas foster, maple bacon, matcha and so much more. The cozy lounge creates a retro vibe for visitors, but the food is newer and unlike anywhere else in town.

Movies at Matt’s has been a positive inclusion to the overall growth of the place. Bringing the town together to enjoy old movies that some most likely forgot about. Going to Movies at Matt’s is an affordable way to enjoy a movie with strangers, whether it is for a date, with friends, or just going alone to watch.