Stillwater Pony Express

Vagabonds performs at choir teacher Katelyn Larson’s wedding

Vagabonds sing outside the day before choir teacher Katelyn Larsons wedding to practice. Vagabonds will sing at Larsons wedding on Oct 6.
Photo by Amelia Strong
Vagabonds sing outside the day before choir teacher Katelyn Larson’s wedding to practice. Vagabonds will sing at Larson’s wedding on Oct 6.

Choir teacher Katelyn Larson got married on Oct. 6 and Vagabonds sang at her wedding. 

Vagabonds sang at Larson’s wedding because she was in Vagabonds when she was in high school and she loves the group.

“I want them to be at the big parts in my life,” Larson said.

“I want them to be at the big parts in my life”

— Katelyn Larson

“I am proud to have them in my life,” she added.

Vagabonds consistently scores superior ratings and have been chosen as “Best of Site” at MSHSL solo and ensemble contests each year.

“Vagabonds is one of the best choir groups in the nation and they earn many awards for their hard work,” Larson said.

Vagabonds sang  “The Lord’s Prayer” in French. They also sang “ How sweet is it to be loved by you” by James Taylor. 

Larson said she picked ‘The Lord’s Prayer’ in French, because it’s one of her favorite settings of the song that she has ever sung. She sang it when she was a student at St.Olaf College.

Vagabonds had practices for the wedding on Wednesdays evenings and some Monday evenings. 

“Vagabonds is a co-curricular activity group so they rehearse on Wednesday evenings, but we also have done some Monday evenings,” Vagabonds Director Angela Mitchell explained. 

Vagabonds takes a lot of time and effort to be the best group they can.

“We work really hard and we do a lot. They are taking time out of their day to be excellent and excel,” senior Michael Fredricks added.

Larson picked Vagabonds instead of the choir that she teaches, Select Women, because she did not want to direct at her wedding. Larson also wanted a variety of voices, the song’s that vagabonds sang at the wedding were best with sopranos, altos, tenors and basses.

“I chose vagabonds because I did not want to be the one to have to direct the choir at my own wedding. Also, my amazing colleague, Angela Mitchell, conducts vagabonds, and I knew that she would do a great job with them. It is also one less thing that I had to worry about on that day,” Larson explained.

Vagabonds celebrate with Katelyn Larson after ceremony to show their excitement together. (Photo by annevictoriaphotography)

Vagabonds is a talented group that is determined and sings difficult music at practices.

“It takes a lot more thinking than I’m used to, but it is very fun and definitely worth every minute,” Fredricks explained.

“We are pretty excelled musically, so on normal practice days, we are given music to sing and we just sing it. Mrs. Mitchell does her best to try and help us, but we kind of just plug through. We usually sit around the piano and listen to each other sing around us and have fun. This is my first year in vagabonds and it definitely is a special group to be with and special to be a part of such an amazing choir.”

“There’s some nervous excitement, but I have complete confidence in us. I think that we are going to sing fantastically, I think it’s going to be gorgeous, super fun, and we are all really excited,” Fredericks added before the wedding.