Boys, girls track teams begin season

Sonia Moran

More stories from Sonia Moran

The boys and girls track are sprinting their way in to the beginning on the season. Both teams are strong this year. The runners this year are focusing on training harder this season. The coaches are pushing the runners a lot harder this year. Despite their dedication this year, the teams goal’s remain the same: to go to state.

Last season the boys track ended the season 6th in state. Although the girls team was unable to participate as a whole, certain individuals were able to partake in the state meet.

This season there is a lot more hope for the track teams. Both teams are looking forward to improving their last years times. The teams goal is the make top five in state this year.

Senior Daniel Hammer is setting a high goal aiming for top three in state this year. “I’m looking forward to see our guys compete at state level and see how we stack up against the best runners in the state,” Hammer said.

Junior Lindsey Purrington is focusing on her personal goals this season. “My goals are to improve my times from last year, train harder, and have a positive outlook,” Purrington said.

Last year through a unique set of circumstances the boys track teams string of consecutive Section 4AA track and field titles and top five at State finishes was stopped at eight years in a row.  Additionally, the boys cross country team faded badly over the last mile at State last November.

Coach Scott Chirstensen from the boys track team set high expectations for the boys this season. Their goal is to win Section 4AA, True Team and have 8-10 running and field events entered in the Minnesota State Meet.

For all the boys, I just want everybody performing at personal career best levels meet in and meet out”

— Scott Chirstensen

“For all the boys, I just want everybody performing at personal career best levels meet in and meet out,” Christensen said.

The girls track team is hoping to recover from last year. Since last years 4 x 4 team did not make it to state, coach Dawn Podolske’s goal is to get them there this year. The coaches are focusing on runners as individuals this year. They have goals as a team and they also have goals for each individual person.

“We have a great girls team with a lot of talent this year and the coaches want to push all of us to reach our personal goals.” Purrington added, “We want to get as many relays and people to state as we can to compete.”

With leadership, good coaching, long practice hours and teamwork the teams are sure to make their way to winning sections and hopefully have many team members participate in the state tournament.

14 Responses to “Boys, girls track teams begin season”

1. Ciana Fragnito on May 7th, 2017 7:49 am

This story was well written. The focus on the state meet was nice to see however it did not coincide with the title focusing on the beginning of the season and the story focusing on the end. I liked how you added stats on how the team performed last year and how they are planning to achieve this moving forward as well. Great article!

2. Kevin Thole on May 7th, 2017 7:48 pm

I enjoyed how you included all of the information and statistics from the previous season in order to compare it to the upcoming one. You used some good quotes and did a good job focusing on the team’s goals.

3. Allison Heintz on May 7th, 2017 8:46 pm

I love how the author includes the information and last year stats because it helps show improvement and goals for this season that each student has. There was good quotes provided and good information put into this, overall a very well article

4. Nicholas Gag on May 7th, 2017 10:09 pm

This was a great article. Not only did it cover both the boys and the girls team, it had great interviews from valuable sources.

5. Andrew Wilcek on May 7th, 2017 10:11 pm

Really well written and I liked how it covered both girls and boys but how it talked about state. I really liked how it talked about expectations for the season.

6. Gideon Bimpey on May 7th, 2017 11:41 pm

This was a very intriguing article to read. I like how the writer focus on both teams and never leaded towards one or the other during the article. It also had some really good quotes that blended well with the story.

7. Jack Reinseth on May 8th, 2017 7:45 am

This article was very well written, I liked how both teams were covered. I liked how they tied not only the beginning of the season but also the end and then I really liked all the statistics they had in the article.

8. Maya Aflakpi on May 8th, 2017 7:51 am

Really well written article, but their was some grammatical errors. I like how the story was about both the girls and the boys track and that they people you interviewed wasn’t just boys or wasn’t just girls. It was good how you put in last years performance to let readers be informed if they didn’t know. Overall very good story!

9. Gabe Wagner on May 8th, 2017 8:52 am

The story is well written I thought she did a good job including both boys and girls team. I liked how she added ho the team did last year and then the teams gaol for this year. Also did a good job including statistics to educate the reader.

10. Conner Cole on May 8th, 2017 12:41 pm

The story is very informative throughout the article and it’s very detailed giving the story a thorough description of the teams start of the season.

11. Josh Bauer on May 8th, 2017 5:20 pm

This is a very fun and interesting article to read, the author put good time and effort into this and it really pays off in the end. Good research was conducted and the interview questions seemed spot on.

12. Noah Johnson on May 8th, 2017 8:06 pm

Well it’s great to know both team’s expectations are entering the season. I like that you gave areas each team is seeking to improve this year. Smooth transitions from team to team. One improvement would be to spellcheck because you spelled Scott’s last name wrong.

13. Travis Jacobson on May 9th, 2017 10:50 am

This article is really good because it gives the perspectives of the coaches and athletes. The inclusion of both boys and girls teams make it a really well balanced article.

14. Mason Urban on May 9th, 2017 11:39 am

This story is really well written as it gives the perspective of both the players and coaches.

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

Photo Slide Shows

Girls lacrosse looking to replicate last season

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

People

Skaret helps Bundbugs become more successful

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

Locker Room

Anderson wins Athena award for excellence in athletics

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

Locker Room

Pott siblings become rodeo duo

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

People

Ryans maintain a 21 year marriage at SJHS

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

Activities

Trap shooting gives unique, challenging opportunity

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

Photo Slide Shows

Operation Glass Slipper provides prom dresses for those in need

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

Locker Room

Thole twins headed for success in gymnastics, wrestling

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

People

O’Neal strives for future dermatology career

• Boys, girls track teams begin season

Photo Slide Shows

Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Boys, girls track teams begin season