Lacrosse team hopes for a chance to play

Photo by Sadie Heieren

The boys lacrosse team practices at the St. Croix Valley Recreation Center. The team has now switched to distance coaching during the pandemic.

William Raymond, Podcast Reporter

This year the Covid-19 pandemic is consuming the global stage. The virus has affected all walks of life. The MSHSL announced the suspension of Minnesota spring sports until further notice. The effects of this announcement are widespread and sweeping all potential heartfelt memories of the season away. The lacrosse team is addressing the announcement by staying positive and hoping for another chance to play.

“For me it’s been really hard. I have been playing on the team from all the way back in eighth grade. Just to think of all the time and energy put into this program from where it was to where it is now from when I was in eighth grade. Of course I’m not saying it just me so many people contributed to this. It’s just hard that all of our guys won’t be able to finish what we have started,” senior Captain Ty Thureson said.

The Covid-19 pandemic has shaken the world of sports. The pandemic led Governor Tim Walz to order a stay at home order until April 10. The order is the catalyst for the suspension of the season by the MSHSL. The suspension raises the question whether the senior class of 2020 will not see their last sports season

This is by far the most difficult part of this entire situation. We have seniors that have invested so much time into this team and program, many of which have been playing JV and Varsity since they were freshmen. They deserve the chance to get another go at State and we are hoping that they get it,

— Peter Flock

“This is by far the most difficult part of this entire situation. We have seniors that have invested so much time into this team and program, many of which have been playing JV and Varsity since they were freshmen. They deserve the chance to get another go at State and we are hoping that they get it,” varsity lacrosse assistant coach Peter Flock explained.

Distance coaching is regularly assigning workouts and film to watch for all varsity athletes. The progressive form of coaching has become a popular method of keeping athletes ready for a very unlikely season.

To stay in shape for the season I have been doing home workouts, going for runs and trying to keep my stick in my hand playing wall ball and shooting,” freshmen Ty Tuccito said.

The team maintains hope for a possible condensed season in May. KARE 11 models project Covid-19 will peak in Minnesota on June 28. 

“Even if we do get to play a shorter season it just won’t be the same. Just when something holds so much value in your heart and it gets taken away like it’s nothing,” Thureson explained.