916 Career and Technical Center provides college experiences

Photo by Linda Hill

Junior Ivy Lariviere studies hard to make sure they do well in their class about nursing through 916. She will get some of her college classes done while in high school.

Linda Hill, Podcast Reporter

916 Career and Technical Center, also referred to as the 916 program, offers different programs to high school students and the northeast school of Century College. They offer two different time slots: morning and afternoon sessions.

This program was made to “get the hands-on learning experience that students get in each of the different programs,” counselor Sandra Weaver said.

This program is mostly used by seniors in high school. In these programs, students can get college credit if they get above a B in their classes for up to 17 different post-secondary institutions. Some programs offer scholarships for certain careers.

916 is a beneficial program that many students take advantage of to get some college credit, scholarships and to experience a career they want to pursue in the future, at no cost to the student.

“This program is absolutely beneficial to the students. Some students can get college credit towards their program,” Weaver said.

There are many main areas of study for the students to participate in: Art, Communications and Information systems, Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, Business Management and Administration, Engineering, Manufacturing and Technology, Satellite Programs, Exploration and Enrichment, Human Services, Health Sciences, and Cosmetology. They all are popular programs students enroll in.

This program is absolutely beneficial to the students. Some students can get college credit towards their program.

— Sandra Weaver

“They are the programs that are around like health and the programs around car work,” senior Omar Omar said.

Students attend Century College because it is closer to where they live, they have fewer requirements to get into the school, they did not get into the university program or they just had the right programs for them through 916.

“I find it better than if I would have taken any classes at the university because I like the hands-on aspect of it and it is closer to where I live,” Omar added.

Automotive technology is one of the most popular programs that 916 offers. In automotive technology, students learn to repair, maintain and fix cars. Students learn the basics of cars, which they will need to know to get a major in that program.

“It would be automotive because many people are into cars and how they work,” junior Ivy Lariviere said.

There are 14 different districts that participate in this program ranging from Stillwater, St. Francis, St. Anthony-New Brighton to South Washington County. There are students from all around the metro area.

“At least 11 schools participate in the 916 programs and all of those schools can send students to classes at 916,” Weaver said.

This program was made to help students advance in their skills and become better at what the are doing so they can do classes to that want to pursue in the future.