Pinning a spot at state

Boys wrestling defends two year state title

For the first time in over 10 years, the varsity wrestling team has made it to State two years in a row. This year they plan to make it back to State, which would beat the all-time high school record of most years in a row making it to all state by winning the Section 4AAA championship. Both junior captain Trey Kruse and head coach Rich Keller feel they have good chances making it back to state this year. The wrestling season started on Nov. 19.

Two wrestlers from the varsity team placed last year in State. At the time, Kruse finished fourth place at 132 as a sophomore and sophomore Reid Ballantyne won State at 120 for his second State title as a freshman.

Ballantyne first dominated the 106 weight class in eighth grade when he won his first State title. One year later, he won his second title in the 120 weight class.

“I think my odds of winning state again this year are pretty good,” Ballantyne said. Ballantyne feels confident in his chances at winning again this year, which would give him his third State title.

Although the team has no pre-game rituals, Keller believes his team does not need rituals and feels with hard work they will be able to very well this upcoming season. 

Ballantyne said, “We don’t think we need a pre-game ritual, we just go out and try our hardest.”

Wrestling is considered one of the oldest sports on earth. The sport allows athletes to play no matter their physical characteristics, gender, or race. This creates an unique aspect of the sport and can make wrestling more or less interesting to watch.

Junior Andy Constant said, “I feel like wrestling allows myself to compete alone, but at the same time be apart of a team which makes it a lot of fun.”

I feel like wrestling allows myself to compete alone but at the same time be apart of a team which makes it a lot of fun.”

— Andy Constant

The beginning of last year’s season started off shaky with a record of 0-2, but quickly flipped after the varsity team won their next two. 

Kruse said, “Last year we had a slow start against some pretty good teams, but this year we’re starting fast.” Ballantyne added, “I think the team will do very good and we’ll make State again.”

With more than 20 wrestlers on the varsity team, five captains were picked to lead the team. Kruse is one of the five captains and has been since freshman year. Ballantyne felt he was lead by strong captains with good attitude and skill.

“They’re good captains, all around good wrestlers, they know what they’re doing, and have good leadership skills,” Ballantyne said.

Both Kruse and Ballantyne agreed they first started to wrestle as young kids and will stick with it throughout high school.

Kruse said, “I started in preschool so I didn’t have much of a choice, but my dad was in wrestling in his high school and figured his son would like to me to try it.”

This year the team hopes to reach new levels of success, but to do so, the varsity wrestling team will need to work hard for the top spot in the section.

Zach Johnson, Social Media Editor

My name is Zach Johnson and I'm a sports media editor for the SAHS Pony Express newspaper. I play lacrosse and enjoy fishing and hunting. I'm most looking...

4 Responses to “Pinning a spot at state”

1. Derek Berg on December 21st, 2018 10:23 am

This was a very informative article. I chose to read this article because I like to read about sports. The quotes were good and added a nice touch to the story.

2. Benjamin Jacobs on January 4th, 2019 12:05 am

This was a good article and I enjoyed how it focused on the individual wrestlers and not the team as a whole. I thought this made the story more personal and made it a more interesting read.

3. Joseph devins on January 4th, 2019 8:10 am

This article taught me about how truly dominant SAHS’s wrestling team really is. Well placed and and informative links that help to tell the story of this team. This article makes me want to attend more wrestling matchs this season.

4. Rosella Nichols on January 7th, 2019 7:40 am

This is a great in-depth look into the stillwater boys wrestling season, team, and individuals! It taught be alot about wrestling and how the season is set up.

• Pinning a spot at state

Photo Slide Shows

Girls basketball shoots for success

• Pinning a spot at state

Photo Slide Shows

Wrestling: owning the mat

• Pinning a spot at state

Focus

Boyd Huppert surprises Steil, teaches journalism

• Pinning a spot at state

School board in discussion to cut $2.5 million

• Pinning a spot at state

Fall Sports

Ana Weaver takes 8th in State

• Pinning a spot at state

Photo Slide Shows

Girls hockey sticking together

• Pinning a spot at state

Brine’s Market and Deli celebrates 60th anniversary

• Pinning a spot at state

Brookview Elementary expansion uncertain with new school board candidates

• Pinning a spot at state

Fall Sports

Volleyball setting up for state

• Pinning a spot at state

Hannah Sween and Madi Weispfenning win national journalism awards