Stillwater Pony Express

Buse captains Adapted Floor Hockey team to state

Photos submitted by Tara King and Beth Buse
Adapted Floor Hockey team places 4th in the state tournament. Senior Maddie Buse is one of the captains on the team.

The adapted floor hockey team had a great regular season with a record of 6 and 2 landing them in the state tournament.

The team had four captains this season: senior Maddie Buse along with juniors Chase McCann, Mason Mora-Clark and Wesley Hoveland. Buse was excited when she found out she had been voted as one of the captains for the team.

“I think being a good captain means being responsible for everyone,” Buse said.

The team took 4th place in the state tournament on March 9. “I thought in the very last game of the season in the state tournament that Buse probably played her best game ever,” head coach Jon McAllister said.

Buse started playing sports when she was young. “I have been dancing since I was 3. I also started horseback riding a couple years ago. When I was a junior I joined the adapted soccer, floor hockey, and softball teams. I’m super competitive and love being with my friends and teammates,” Buse said. “My favorite sport is dance.”

“Maddie doesn’t quit. She always plays her hardest when she’s out there,” McAllister said.

Maddie doesn’t quit. She always plays her hardest when she’s out there.”

— Jon McAllister

“As a captain, she’s a good example for the younger players,” McAllister said. “She didn’t start playing until she was a junior so she understands what it may feel like to start playing something and feel like you don’t know as much or are not as good as some of the other kids who have played before.”

“I think we worked well together as captains. I think there will be four captains again next year.” As one of the four captains McCann said.

“One of the funniest memories I have of Maddie this season was when she made a minor mistake.  She missed the puck but then she would make a face, slam her stick on the floor, turn around and go back and get it.  Like she was thinking, you are not getting that puck away from me,” assistant coach Carrie Kearney said.

“She hangs in there as one of the toughest defense ladies on the team.  She plays with all her might,” Kearney said. McCann agreed, “She is an aggressive defensive player.”

Buse plans to attend the transition program next year. She hopes to help coach the team next season.

“I think Maddie would be helpful with the younger players or players that haven’t played a lot because she didn’t start playing until she was a junior herself,” McAllister said.

“Our younger players really look up to their peers. When a graduating senior comes back to coach it really helps. Buse is able to teach them many of the skills that are new to them. She’s very patient and would be a good fit coming back to help. We hope she does,” Kearney said.