Filed under News, Student Life

Prom committee plans for a night in the roaring twenties

With prom quickly approaching, the prom committee meets every week to plan for a night in the roaring twenties. Prom committee is a group of students that choose a theme, make decorations, budget a project, coordinate a location and overall plan for the upcoming junior and senior dance.

The committee is a service group for students who love prom and are interested in event planning. Students meet on Wednesdays before and after school in the PAC conference room. Students of all grades are welcome to join.

“I love prom committee because I love prom,” the committee’s president, senior Tori Kelm said. ” It’s awesome to feel that sense that you as a group spent the whole year planning for prom and you get to see all your hard work pay off.”

Alternative Copy Story by Rose Junko

This year’s prom will take place on May 5 at the Myth Live center in Maplewood. Students from other schools are allowed with a permission slip and students from other grades are allowed with an upperclassman date.

“Prom is a nice opportunity for kids to go out with their friends and be dressed up,” prom committee advisor, Jackie Delahunt said. “It lets the seniors have one last fun event before graduation,” added Delahunt.

The tickets go on sale on April 16 starting at $50 in the lunchroom. The tickets will be for sale on feepay the next week for an addition of $10. Tickets will be on sale for $70 one week before prom.

“We want to make sure students get tickets for cheaper with the committee the first week rather than for more money on feepay,” Kelm said.

Kelm suggested the theme for this year’s prom. She joined the committee last year loved it. This year, she was offered the position of president. Kelm was inspired by The Great Gatsby book and suggested the roaring twenties for this year’s theme.

“The theme will be black, silver and gold. It will be flashy with feathers and beads,” Kelm said. “I just love the idea of having sparkles in our theme,” Kelm added.

Along with a fancy theme, the prom will also have a fancy dessert bar. The committee is working on getting quotes from various vendors and they will provide miniature desserts for students to enjoy while they are enjoying the dance. The prom will also have two photo booths to reduce the lines. The photo booths will be done by Vickey Weiss photography.

The theme will be black, silver and gold. It will be flashy with feathers and beads.”

— Tori Klem

“The students are actually interested in event planning and scheduling. They are excited to have this opportunity to come up with new ideas and plans,” Delahunt said.

The prom committee is working hard with decorations and scheduling in the coming weeks. They hope to help make prom a memorable night of tradition and fun.

“With our school being size that it is, I think it’s important for juniors and senior to have a fun event that is just for them,” Delahunt said.

Morgan Grim, Photo Editor
Morgan Grim is in 11th grade and a Photo Editor for the Pony Express. She writes for the people and focus department. Grim participates and track, volleyball, and weight lifting. Outside of school she enjoys to play club volleyball and do makeup.

15 Responses to “Prom committee plans for a night in the roaring twenties”

1. Emma Lowey on April 5th, 2018 1:55 pm

The quotes in this story are well developed and gave me a great insight on prom and the process of planning it! The alt-copy works really well with the story on the website as well.

2. Hannah Boardman on April 10th, 2018 9:29 am

The prom information is great. It provides a good rundown for people who have never been to prom, and the story really captures the excitement surrounding the event. The graphic really works with the story, and overall it offers interesting insight to the prom committee.

3. Madison Weispfenning on April 10th, 2018 9:01 pm

The information in this story is really in-depth and it really lets the reader know the 5 w’s and how in the first few paragraphs. I like how you elaborate on them as well. Some words are repeated a bit and sound a tad informal, but other than that great story!

4. Joseph Blomquist on April 11th, 2018 12:35 pm

The quotes were very helpful, and the information was as well. The alternative copy was a very good fit with the story and was informational as well.

5. Evelyn Young on April 12th, 2018 11:24 am

This article caught my attention based on the headline. I wanted to know more about prom. I liked how you included the theme in the headline it was more informative that way. In general, the article was very informative about the planning going into prom and what can be expected. It would’ve been nice if you had more of a variety of people interviewed. Otherwise, very well done!

6. Alyssa Bump on April 13th, 2018 8:28 am

This article was written very well. The information was written in a informational way, but was interesting. The Aly copy was also very well done.

7. Benjamin Valerius on April 15th, 2018 10:40 am

I liked how the article took something old like the annual prom and made it new and interesting by giving details about the theme and color scheme. The quotes were awesome and the alt copy was a nice pair to this.

8. Malaina Fragnito on April 20th, 2018 10:25 am

Prom is a very anticipated event so it is good there was a story on this. I would recommend using more sources because only two interviews does not showcase all of the information that well. The alt copy goes well with the main story and the background color really make it pop. Overall, very informative.

9. Kaitlyn Kirby on April 22nd, 2018 2:06 pm

This story was very informational and was full of good quotes. It covered all most every detail and question someone might have about Prom. It was very well written and was nicely organized. The quotes were good and it was interesting to hear about how the Great Gatsby theme started.

10. Abigail Begin on April 22nd, 2018 8:36 pm

I like that background information was included about what prom committee is. The quotes were very well chosen. This article provides a lot of good information about the upcoming prom.

11. Luke Higgins on April 22nd, 2018 10:31 pm

A short but sweet story, easy to follow. I feel like there should be more people for quotes. But overall a fun article to read.

12. Fotini Kloos on April 23rd, 2018 6:37 am

Alt copy is so interactive I love it! The story itself is very informative with a lot of good information for people going to prom! Some of the ticket price information is wrong, it starts at $40 but other than that it is very good! Great job Morgan and Rose!

13. Noah Schoolman on April 23rd, 2018 9:26 pm

This story was very interesting and informative. It seemed very well researched and had some good quotes.

14. Rose Deziel on April 23rd, 2018 9:56 pm

The quotes really help display the excitement and anticipation centered around prom. Also, the alt-copy draws people in with all of the fun colors. Overall, the story is enjoyable to read!

15. Will Gleason on April 24th, 2018 8:03 am

You did a very good job of using quotes to add depth to your story. Your word choice leading into and following up quotes is also really good. The quotes fit in perfectly to the story. I also think that the alt copy adds in great, it’s a great balance of graphic and words.

• Prom committee plans for a night in the roaring twenties

Football field movie night brings students together

Featured Videos

First ever girls ultimate frisbee team emerges

School experiments with after school A La Carte option

“Wait, are you the Rock girl?” Katie Kelzenberg’s promposal garners big attention

Jumping into spring with ninth, tenth grade formal

April 20 walkout marks 19 year anniversary of Columbine

Remembering Parkland victims with walkout, demanding safety

School Board postpones discussion on school start times

WALKOUT: SAHS walks out to remember Parkland victims

Asian Student Union builds strong bonds