New teachers transition to high school

With the new construction and transition of ninth graders, more faculty is needed to cater to all students. As the transition plan has added new buildings to the existing school, the hiring process of new teachers will progress.

This construction process has already made an immense impact on the school due to the moving around of students. This plan has been in the works for many years and is nearing completion.

Rachel Anselmo, Assistant to the Principal, shared teacher’s names moving from Stillwater Junior High. There are many, but some include: English teacher Ing-Mari Ryan, Math teacher Patricia Sperle and Science teacher Dave Kaul are some recognized teachers transitioning to the high school.

Mixed emotions have come along with this such as students distracted from construction, more congestion in the parking lot and creating a larger school from already 2,400 students.

Assistant Principal Chris Otto said, “We are in the hiring process currently. The hiring process is complex and is varied by new teachers, as they move up from other schools.”

The maturity of the students at the high school has been the huge change and has allowed me to be a successful teacher up at the high school

— Ben Straka

The addition of new teachers will help balance class sizes and provide more movement for faculty. With the variation of classrooms and hallways for departments, the school will be restructured and many teachers will move classrooms.

Science teacher Ben Straka said, “My jokes don’t work at the senior high as well as they did at the junior high. It was one of the major first differences I found. The maturity of the students at the high school has been the huge change and has allowed me to be a successful teacher up at the high school. Differences of teaching at the junior and high school are very different due to moving schools.”

Many existing teachers have different opinions on next year’s transition. Some are thrilled as it is a new change to teach another grade for some.

Straka said, “[It is nice] working with students that are in here [the classroom] to learn and have great questions and it’s a different realm than at the junior high.”

The transitions of new teachers will help the entire student body and faculty by providing an all around experience for students.