Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Nicholas Gag, Social Media Editor

Quinn Kuslich, Noah Ness, Carl Bohacek

It is that time of the year again. The Battle of the Bands took place on Feb. 3. Several bands are prepared for this competition. It shows friends, family and the community just how hard they have been working.

“I think this year’s competition will be great. I have never been to Battle of the Bands, but I am looking forward to it,” junior Matt Payne said.

Music is a great way for people to express themselves. The audience can get to know the band by listening to their music. Some groups may have played in similar conditions, but any time there is a big live crowd it would be worth playing at.

“I like how they get the chance to play in front of family and friends and it has an incentive,” Payne said.

This year’s competition featured five bands: 40 Below, Educated Guess, Land Whale, Mouthful and The Bungdungz . Every band was confident that they would take it home. Of course this is a friendly competition, but everybody wanted to win this competition. The winner got to take home a $200 grand prize.

Sophomore Joe Weckworth said, “I don’t know, I don’t want to be cocky but I think we have a good shot at it.”

Crowds witnessed the Bungdungz winning the competition and the prize in a close race. Mouthful and 40 Below finished right behind them.

“I don’t really have a background in this type of music, but I still think I will enjoy the competition. Each band works so hard so I think it will be worth the price of admission,” Payne said.

Exposure is a part of playing in a band. Battle of the Bands is a way to get a band’s name out there and draw some interest. Playing for friends and family is not the only perk of performing in Battle of the Bands, the participants can see other bands perform live and learn a few things.

“It’s not about the money, it’s more about seeing where we stack up against everyone else and get our name out there a little bit,” said Weckworth.

Bands come from many different backgrounds. Each band had their own unique sound and style. These influences can be seen through these bands music. These influences come through emotions and feelings the band’s feels or maybe they just like the sound, these inspirations are all around us. Every band had their own style and the crowd loved it.

“We listen to a lot of the classic rock music, so bands like Cream, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the stones and things like that,” said Weckworth.

These bands had been preparing for a while and were excited to give the school a show. This year’s competition lived up to the hype, now it is time for the bands to prepare for next year.

Senior MC Bennett Friedrich jams out in between one of the sets of the competition. He had hilarious intros for every band and made the competition a great show to see. This competition was fun for anyone, even if they don’t normally listen to this style of music. “I don’t really have a background in this type of music, but I still think I will enjoy the competition. Each band works so hard so I think it will be worth the price of admission.” junior Matt Payne said.

23 Responses to “Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds”

1. Jack DeGonda on March 2nd, 2017 11:56 am

This story was a great attribution to the pony express for many reasons. First, it talks about a current event in our school that many students are interested in, and maybe if someone forgot to get tickets- this story would suffice. Second, the author has phenomenal linguistic skills, at least compared to some of his counterparts such as Noah Johnson and Mason Urban. Lastly, the structure and chronologic order of this story separates it from the rest making it an obvious choice for the cover of the Pony Express.

2. Ashlyn Aarness on March 11th, 2017 6:10 pm

The lead is good and makes you want to keep reading. The people interviewed were very knowledgeable and their quotes were really nice. The author had good information and a lot of facts.

3. Emmanuel Kamara on March 12th, 2017 12:37 pm

Great way to bring a reader into a story, the story had some really great quotes form various performers . Also i did’t even know there was a grand prize for the winner, shows that you did your research. keep it up.

4. Owen Landrud on March 15th, 2017 8:07 pm

With an event of this size the story could have been an extremely lengthy and strenuous to read but the reporter does a very good job with keeping the story concise and to the point while still including some interesting details.

5. Mason Urban on March 24th, 2017 3:50 pm

This is a very good article as you had a great understanding of Battle of the Bands and great quotes to help support this story.

6. Mira LaNasa on March 27th, 2017 3:04 pm

Good job with this article. Well presented quotes and leaves the reader excited for Battle of the Bands next year.

7. Noah Johnson on March 27th, 2017 3:35 pm

Great job with a getting a good understanding from sources both from the crowd and members of the bands. The language seemed bland at times, but wanting to know what the bands thought kept me reading. Phenomenal.

8. Jared Dean on March 27th, 2017 3:59 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because it not only covered the event but the band members and their interests/reasons for competition. I also thought that you used a variety of different quotes that helped tell the story and show that there is more to Battle of the Band then the first place prize.

9. Hannah Larson on March 27th, 2017 4:38 pm

The information in the article is very well used to help the reader get a sense of Battle of the Bands (BOTB). The length of the article is great as well, because knowing how big of an event BOTB is in the district, the story could have been very long.

10. Max Korth on March 27th, 2017 4:38 pm

I enjoyed reading this article because it told the story of the Battle of the Bands and how it is more about playing for the people than it is about winning the competition. I think more of a variety of quotes could be used in this article from the different bands perhaps, just to show the different perspectives of the bands in the competition.

11. Hannah Boardman on March 27th, 2017 4:47 pm

This is a great article because of the information presented. There is a lot of good information on the bands and the interviews are very informative. Overall this is a very good article.

12. Kevin Thole on March 27th, 2017 6:31 pm

While I always enjoy the storytelling abilities of Nick Gag, I couldn’t help but feel the lead was a little rushed in this story. I like how you interviewed a member of a band and provided good information on what inspires each band. Also I think you should have interviewed people from multiple bands in order to diversify the story.

13. kayla gjerde on March 27th, 2017 7:23 pm

I think there should have been more quotes from people participating in Battle of the Bands. There could have been more information about the songs the bands performed and what the environment was like during Battle of the Bands.

14. Mariah Marsnik on March 27th, 2017 7:27 pm

I enjoyed reading this article. It has good facts that represent good research. I like how Nick wrote about who won and what the prize was, but also that the competition is about more than just winning. The story gets right to the point and gives the reader good information about Battle of the Bands. The quotes are good but the article could have been even better if there were a few more quotes from other band members.

15. Ryan Berg on March 27th, 2017 9:05 pm

This story was written well, and explained the event nicely. I especially liked that you mentioned the $200 prize for the winning team. I also liked how you explained that bands come from many different backgrounds and can all have their own special style.

16. Ben Wicklund on March 28th, 2017 7:46 am

Very nice blend of quotes and facts. Could have built up more suspense and tension by following a band from before and after but good to interview a band member. Good job!

17. Maddy on March 28th, 2017 7:53 am

I think the article told how BOTB was in the eyes of not only the students but also the bands that participated. It was well written and hopefully, anyone who read this article who didn’t attend this year will attend next year.

18. Gideon Bimpey on March 28th, 2017 8:00 am

I fee like this story could’ve been longer for such a big event. But even though it was short it was still powerful. Great quotes and perspectives.

19. Gabe Wagner on March 28th, 2017 9:08 am

Good article about a unique event that our school puts on. Did a good job researching and educating the reader about the event. Also had good interviews from different band members

20. Evan Klein on March 28th, 2017 9:11 am

The introduction is strong and the quotes are compelling there is also an array of interviewees which adds to credibility

21. Hannah Drake on March 28th, 2017 9:41 am

I did not go to battle of the bands this year but this article gave a very good summary of what happened. The quotes were great, I love all the band members. This article was sort of “Cheerleading”, but other than that it is a great piece of work.

22. Adam Johnson on March 28th, 2017 9:07 pm

I went to battle of the bands and I can honestly say that this story did a really good job at matching the mood of the show itself and giving a good glimpse at what the event was like.

23. Thomas Johnson on March 29th, 2017 7:28 pm

The lead catches the reader’s attention and Nick did a great job of using the perfect balance between strong quotes and explaining what Battle of the Bands is all about

• Battle of the Bands plays to enthusiastic crowds

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

‘The Fate of the Furious’ kills box office

‘A Cure for Wellness’ receives mixed reviews

Live-action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ box office hit

Black Dog Cafe offers diversity of local artist, great food

Classic Disney films transcend time

‘Hidden figures’ brings untold true story to life

“La La Land” earns record number of accolades