‘Revenge of The Choir’ hits junior high stage

From Shakespeare to Dr. Seuss, the Stillwater Junior High auditorium has seen many productions. However, it has never seen a play written by a student, until now. Junior Adam Sutcliffe has written a play titled, “Revenge of The Choir”, a story about how the ensemble of a play takes control of their own destiny and rebel against its own plot.

When Sutcliffe was a freshman, he had the idea of writing a play on how the ensemble of a cast were to take control of the play and claim their own destinies. The idea began to construct itself throughout the summer of 2013 but had not been completed until the fall of 2014.

The next step was to make this dream a reality. Sutcliffe said, “I told Mr. Smith, at the beginning of my sophomore year, that I had finished a play. But because I’m a wicked procrastinator, I didn’t physically hand it [the script] to him until the following spring.”

With the play being produced, the co-directors, Sutcliffe and 9th grade English teacher Andrew Smith, soon had the trouble of how to cast their characters. Sutcliffe said, “The hardest part about casting was really just how the numbers worked out… There were several people who could have played several roles.”

Performing an unfamiliar show can be exciting for everyone because no one can have a mindset on who they would want to be and who they think others will fit in to the characters’ personalities. Even people, such as junior Noah Campbell, can be feeling anxious as to how the cast will be unified as they are being a part of their own friend’s play.

“I am close to Adam because he has been my best friend since we were in kindergarten, so it makes me happy to be able to see him succeed in what he loves to do. That’s why I’m excited for it,” said Campbell.

Perks on being best friends with the writer of the play, Campbell was allowed special privileges before the final copy of the play was turned in.

“I had read the script before Adam had decided to actually perform it, and I loved it. The characters are so interesting in how they react to each other throughout the play, and from the beginning I’ve always wanted to be in it.”

When Sutcliffe was a freshman, he had the idea of writing a play on how the ensemble of a cast were to take control of the play and claim their own destinies.

Sutcliffe has gone through many drafts of the show to fit the proper tone with the proper audience. The show is being performed at the Stillwater Junior High, so it is to be expected that the humor and tone of the show would be less serious than a more commonly known show such as “Romeo and Juliet.”

Campbell explained, “The comedy is funny for me and other high school students, but for adults, they may think of it differently. Obviously Adam is not a professional, but I think he has wrote a fantastic show.”

Although the cast is excited as to how the performance will play out, the directors will not be sure until opening night on how the audience will accept the show.

Sutcliffe said, “I have no idea how anticipated the show is going to be, I don’t know when the last time there was a show like this, so I can’t really base it off of any other previous shows.”

Adam Sutcliffe’s single idea of a plot soon developed into the pre-production of his own show. Not many people can say that they wrote a play and would be performed just over a year later. As the auditions have taken place and casting has been decided, the show will blossom into a well crafted production for the Stillwater community to enjoy. Although no date has been set in stone, students, faculty and other members of the community can go see “Revenge of The Choir” in early to mid-February.