Rachel Francis stays extremely involved

Photo by Kayly Richert

Junior Rachel Francis hangs a poster for the upcoming blood drive hosted by the National Honor Society. As an officer, she helps to organize and run many events for her school and community.

Junior Rachel Francis has a lot going on. She is invested in both the school and community. She is a part of many activities, has multiple jobs and attends community college as well as high school.

Rachel maintains great grades and also is part of the PSEO program at Century College. She currently works towards obtaining her associates degree through this unique program. Her hard work academically will allow her to accomplish many things in the future, both near and far.

“I like the independence of PSEO a lot. I only take one class in person right now, and my other two classes are online. So I feel like it’s just taught me how college classes kind of work, which I know all college classes aren’t online, but the ones that I have online, it’s a lot of, like, note taking, so I feel like it’s shown me how to take notes and do stuff like that. And then the class I take in-person has helped me just learn about what an in-person class is like,” Rachel said.

She is also a National Honor Society officer and she volunteers a lot with this group. As an officer, she works hard to create meaningful service opportunities for other members to complete. These opportunities help other students to be more involved within the community.

“I think I think Rachel is soft spoken when she needs to be, but she’s also assertive when she needs to be as well. Which that is something that takes a lot of a lot of high school students a long time to learn, that sometimes leadership means being quiet,” orchestra director Ryan Jensen explained.

On top of this, she is involved in many extracurriculars including viola, track, cross country running and cross country skiing. Due to her outstanding leadership skills, she has been voted captain of the cross country running team for the upcoming season. She is also a part of the Con Amici orchestra, which practices twice a week before school.

I think I think Rachel is soft spoken when she needs to be, but she’s also assertive when she needs to be as well. Which that is something that takes a lot of a lot of high school students a long time to learn, that sometimes leadership means being quiet.

— Ryan Jensen

“They’ve all just taught me that I just need to keep working hard. It’s also brought me closer with a lot of my friends. I’ve also created a lot of friends that way through sports. I feel like the sports have also increased my mental toughness which my coaches like,” Rachel said.

Rachel can also be found working at Papa Murphys or Mathnasium. At Mathnasium, she is helping better the education of students, which will serve them forever. Both of these jobs show off how well she is able to work with and help others, which is a very important skill to have in life.

Freshman Adriana Francis said that Rachel is very good at managing people. She also explained how Rachel is very kind and friendly and makes sure to help people get their tasks done on time as well.

Her friends admire Rachel not only for her drive, but also her ability to manage so many things at once. They note how even though she is so busy, she still makes time for the people who matter most to her, especially her close friends and family.

“She’s very hardworking and has a lot of stuff going on in her life and she balances it really well, she just gets things done,” and, “She prioritizes what’s important, and then what’s not important she leaves for later,” Adriana said.