Senior Esmeralda Palma-Andrade  prepares for her next art competition in White Bear Lake; she attaches wire to the back of her painting so it can hang in a gallery. Palma-Andrade is being mentored by another student in her art class after she asked for help, the whole class works together to help one another.
Senior Esmeralda Palma-Andrade prepares for her next art competition in White Bear Lake; she attaches wire to the back of her painting so it can hang in a gallery. Palma-Andrade is being mentored by another student in her art class after she asked for help, the whole class works together to help one another.
Photo by Madi Ruchie

Esmeralda Palma-Andrade catches attention of prestigious art schools

Paints line up across the windowsill in the art room, and charcoals of every size litter the table. Sunlight pokes out from behind the clouds, streaming through the windows. It shines directly onto drawings sitting on the table, where Esmeralda paints and crafts her next masterpiece. Each pencil mark meticulously carved into the paper by the artist shows through in the light, and hints of color reveal themselves. It is plain to see how hours of hard work have paid off in time for her art competition tomorrow.

In her senior year of high school, Esmeralda Palma-Andrade is on her own journey with her art. Ever since middle school she was adamant against pursuing careers in art. Yet, this year she turned her own ideology on its head.

Palma-Andrade picked up art from a younger age. She considered it more of a hobby at the time, and took more casual art classes at the high school like Metals and Jewelry. This year, with encouragement from her teachers and her mother, she pushed herself to continue on her art journey.

“I wasn’t until really this year that my mom was like, ‘Do your thing,’ to me, she said I trust you with this, and I’m gonna let it be your own thing. So it was really great because then it’s not like I’m being forced to do art or like keeping doing art; it took off all the unnecessary pressures,” Palma-Andrade said.

This year Palma-Andrade enrolled in AP Art. The class aims to help budding artists explore more mediums, refine their tactics and get their artwork into the world. During the course, artists are required to enter two art competitions featuring their art. Palma-Andrade entered DaVinci Fest.

She is just a memorable person. She has got lots of spirit, and she seems to have interesting [art] topics that weren’t predictable; they told a story or were layered in information.”

— Peter Koulton

At Davinci Fest, Palma-Andrade got judged by three different people. To her it was a stressful and confusing ordeal, but having her friends around relieved some of the pressure. Getting to hear their own experiences brought her a breath of fresh air. She is so glad to have a group, Palma-Andrade explained. 

Despite her nerves, Palma-Andrade won the Pastels and Drawing division of DaVinci Fest with her piece ‘Confrontation of the Beast’. An accomplishment she is not only very proud of, but has helped her grow as an artist.

“She is just a memorable person. She has got lots of spirit, and she seems to have interesting [art] topics that weren’t predictable; they told a story or were layered in information,” Peter Kolton, Palma-Andrade’s art teacher said. 

With renewed confidence in her skills, Palma-Andrade applied to six Art and Design institutions. Milwaukee Art Institution and Pratt Institute in New York were her top two choices; she plans to major in illustration, hoping to one day be able to build characters and create stories for them. 

One of her classmates, senior Melanie Segura, said receiving updates in class about Palma-Andrade’s art journey is a fun part of their day, “I’m proud of her.”

Palma-Andrade does not know what is to come after college, she barely knew she wanted to go to art school until senior year. Regardless, whatever comes her way, Palma-Andrade knows that art is her passion and something she has of her own.

“I want to not necessarily show people that I’m good at art but more of, I have a message to say; I want people to hear my voice,” Palma-Andrade said.