Stillwater Pony Express

Mallory Otsuka demonstrates leadership within music department

Photo by Lavender Schleder
Senior Mallory Otsuka is an organized and busy leader. Her contribution to the arts department has made an incredible impact on many students.

Senior Mallory Otsuka participates in many aspects of the arts programs, primarily choir and theatre. She belongs to Belle Chanter, Select Women, Stillwater Concert Choir, Vagabonds and has done every fall play and spring musical ever since her freshman year.

Not only does she participate in these activities, but she also takes on leadership roles whenever she can. Her most notable are being vice president for Belle Chanter, Treasurer for Concert Choir and Front of House Liaison for the theatre department.

A lot of what Mallory achieves is not even connected to a title. Choir teacher Katelyn Sawatzke expresses her appreciation for Otsuka’s forwardness and eagerness to “jump in to lend a helping hand” whenever someone is needed. It makes Sawatzke know she always has someone when times get tough.

Otsuka has not always received this much praise though. She said that she has been greatly critiqued throughout her years on the art of leadership, trying to find the perfect balance between strength and kindness. Now as a senior, she has almost mastered the skill, as it is incredibly beneficial for her in the long run.

I think it is when you are performing with a group of people, whether that be in the theater and choir, and you just feel so powerful because you are connected to everyone. It is like on my own I can’t really do anything, but when I am with 40 to 50 people singing together, it’s for an audience.”

— Mallory Otsuka

No leader would be as impactful without being equally as organized and in control of their own schedule. Otsuka’s skills of leadership go hand in hand with her skill of planning and scheduling her life efficiently. She not only has a lot on her plate, but most of it is color coded and organized in her Google calendar in order for her to keep track of it all.

Mallory is just so dedicated to everything she gets involved with. I don’t even know how she does it. She has so many responsibilities that she takes on and she just completes all of them and tries to care for them to the fullest extent,” junior Abby Wiberg said.

That is another skill that sets her apart; Otsuka completes everything she sets her mind to. The amount of time she spends on the things she cares about always ends up paying off when she achieves her ideal outcome. It is even more impressive to all of her peers and teachers.

“I have yet to meet a student that works as hard as Mallory,” Sawatzke said.

Even with all of the benefits of being a leader, Otsuka’s favorite aspect of it is the way it brings others together. Without people to lead, there would be no point in being a leader, and no way to grow from the sense of a community.

“I think it is when you are performing with a group of people, whether that be in the theater and choir, and you just feel so powerful because you are connected to everyone. It is like on my own I can’t really do anything, but when I am with 40 to 50 people singing together, it’s for an audience,” Otsuka said. “I love it.”

More than anything, it is the connections Otsuka makes through these experiences of leadership that she values the most. By the end of each adventure, the final result “feels so electric and out of body” through her love of the people around her.