Junior Coolsjes Singhvi poses at the 2023 National Speech and Debate tournament last summer. The tournament was held in Arizona and select students were invited from the Speech and Debate teams.
Photo submitted by Coolsjes Singhvi

Coolsjes Singhvi accepts ExCEL award

This spring, junior Coolsjes Singhvi was presented with the ExCEL Award, becoming the first person in the Stillwater community to receive this prestigious accomplishment.

This award, granted by the Minnesota State High School League, “is a unique recognition program designed exclusively for Minnesota high school juniors who are active in school activities, leaders in their schools, and who demonstrate a strong commitment to community service,” according to the MNHSL website.

At just 14, Coolsjes participates in many programs including Business Professionals of America (BPA), math league, speech team, debate team and Asian Student Union.

According to him, “It’s nice to get an award but it’s nice to not only get an award, but appreciate what the award is really for. And I think that’s why I was really happy to accept the ExCEL Award, because it felt like everything that I’ve been working towards throughout my time, as a high schooler has finally culminated into something that can represent in one that represents all of these different aspects for me, and I’m gonna graduated at 16 which is crazy.”

But amidst the flurry of activities and leadership roles lies a deeper motivation – a desire to learn, grow and make a difference. For Coolsjes, every club, every competition, is an opportunity not just to excel, but to connect with peers, to challenge himself, and to leave a lasting impact on those around him.

Singhvi illustrated that his parents researched a series of clubs for him to join during his freshman year; he now leads many of them. He explained that much of his successes are because his parents encouraged him to join. Seeking out clubs and activities that spoke to his passions and values cultivated a broader community for Coolsjes.

Ultimately, Singhvi was one of 40 juniors in the state to receive this prestige during the AA Girls basketball game halftime show. Its main purpose is to recognize, appreciate and encourage students who make a difference in their communities and will continue to do so.

Sophomore Ella Venzke, a friend and teammate of Coolsjes, explained that it is not all about academics; he touches everyone on a personal level through kind leadership and a natural interest in what he does.

“It’s impressive not only [being] the first person in Stillwater history, but also doing it at his age is actually incredible. And I’m so proud of him, because he’s still got a year and a half left and I can’t wait to see what he does,” Venzke added.

It’s impressive not only the first person in Stillwater history, but also doing it at his age is actually incredible. And I’m so proud of him, because he’s still got a year and a half left and I can’t wait to see what he does.”

— Ella Venzke

Coolsjes’ journey in high school is not close to being over yet, but he is planning for the future.

“I am not really sure what I’m planning to do for college but I’m just trying to keep my options open as I see things like the AC T, and GPA all come in and my transcript. I’m just hoping to go somewhere where I can feel welcome or I can be surrounded by people who are like myself in terms of success, and just a place in general where I can see myself continue to grow as I feel like I have done in high school over the next years of my life and set me up for a good career,” Singhvi explained.

As Coolsjes continues to pursue excellence in all he does, he hopes to inspire others to join activities and involve themselves in the community. He emphasized the importance of finding clubs that align with one’s interests and passions and managing time effectively to balance schoolwork and commitments.

“I mean I’m stressed out at times but the clubs I am a part of are all clubs I am passionate about. They are clubs that I don’t just have to do [the activity] but also enjoy it to the fullest,” Singhvi concluded.