Filed under Locker Room

Pete Hamilton’s experience helps players improve

Photo By Nicholas Gag- “Hammy is an awesome coach he’s always there to help both JV and Varsity players on and off the ice.” Junior Brandon Peterson says. Hamilton is a strong leader and is well liked and respected by his players. The coaching staff is a major reason why this team has been so successful.

“Hammy is an awesome coach, he’s always there to help both JV and Varsity players on and off the ice.” junior Brandon Peterson said. Anyone can walk into math teacher Pete Hamilton’s class and know how important hockey is to him. Hamilton is not just an avid hockey fan, he is an assistant coach for the varsity hockey team. The hockey team is one of the top teams in the state and Hamilton plays a major role in that.

Hamilton shows his unique personality not only at hockey, but also at school. Hamilton is a fan favorite for his great attitude and great sense of humor. This is important for many reasons. The players need to be having a good time to want to come into work that hard every day.

“Coach Hamilton is a great locker room guy, he’s always throwing around jokes and can really relate to all the players,” Peterson said.

Hamilton is an impact not only on the goalies, but every other position as well. On a team like this, it is important to have great coaches that can relate to their players. Coaches have left their imprint all over the game. Hamilton’s goalies are among the top in the state, he and his team work hard every day to maintain their status.

Josh Benson, our starting goalie last year, had an outstanding season leading his team to the State Tournament. I think Hamilton played a major role in his success and the team’s success,” said junior Cole Fernandez. Hamilton’s goalies were elite last season. They allowed under two goals a game.

Along with coaching goalies, he also is a defense coach. Hamilton and the other skilled hockey coaches have put this team in a great position in every aspect. They are undefeated and are playing hard every game to keep it like that.

I think the fact that he used to play gives him some insights that other coaches don’t have.”

— Brandon Peterson

Hamilton has always been more of a defense guy according to Cole Fernandez. He was a goalie when he was younger. He first played for the Ponies in high school and was then talented enough to go onto play for Michigan Tech in college. After his time at Michigan Tech he played for the Green Bay Gamblers. Hamilton has the history and knowledge to help and bring this team to its first state title.

“I think his experience really helps out this team. He has been in our place before and he is here to help us. I think the fact that he used to play gives him some insights that other coaches don’t have,” said Peterson.

Hamilton has always had a strong connection with Stillwater. Growing up in Stillwater gave him the opportunity to play for the Ponies. Coaching for the team he once played for sometimes brings back some memories and maybe now pressures him to make the current team better.

With a team as good as this one there is no room for error. They want their record to be spotless and the rest of the state expects nothing else. They have targets on their backs. They are front runners in the state and all the other teams are trying to run alongside them. The coaching staff did a great job last year keeping them up and running near the front and it is a sure thing that the coaches will put them in a good place again.

9 Responses to “Pete Hamilton’s experience helps players improve”

1. McKenna on January 17th, 2017 5:27 pm

I really enjoyed this article. The title was well written, it caught my eye. I was curious how Hamilton helps players improve because that is what coaches are suppose to do and I wanted to see his way of helping his players improve. The article was well written and great quotes. The quotes helped the article come together as one. This article was well written.

2. McKenna on January 17th, 2017 7:53 pm

I really enjoyed this article. The title was well written and it caught my eye. I was curious how Hamilton helps players improve because that is what coaches are suppose to do and I want to see his way of helping players improve. The article was well written and it had great quotes. The quotes helped the article come together as one.

3. Andrew Wilcek on January 17th, 2017 9:35 pm

Strong article, I didn’t know he played college hockey. Also interesting talking about what he went to Stillwater. I liked talking about how he thinks defense is a big focus point in the game and how elite his goalies are. Loved the article.

4. Emma Salmi on January 17th, 2017 10:54 pm

The article was very well written with many informative facts. I think it did a really good job covering Hamilton’s role in and outside of the rink. I think the quotes were strong and added a lot to the article because they were coming from one of Hamilton’s players. Overall I really enjoyed the article.

5. Ebbie Benson on January 17th, 2017 11:38 pm

I like how you tie in Hamilton’s connection and relevancy to Stillwater. The quotes show how much players appreciate Hamilton and how he builds strong relationships with his team. Good use of quotes from different ages.

6. Sam Johnson on January 18th, 2017 12:11 am

Story is well written and interesting because of the background research that the writer did to find out more about how Mr. Hamilton helps the team and his past experience with hockey.

7. Sonia Moran on January 18th, 2017 9:38 am

Very well written. It was interesting to read about Mr. Hamiltons coaching and how good of a coach he is. The quotes are also very well put in to the article.

8. Darrell Salmi on January 19th, 2017 1:44 pm

This is a great article. The coaching staff is very strong under Coach Doman’s leadership. It is also wonderful to see Coach Hamilton get noticed for all of his contributions. He has been a part of several coaching staffs and has helped the team to improve academically, socially and on the ice. Great article… great coaching!

9. Sam Johnson on February 12th, 2017 11:51 pm

I like how the quotes give a good sense of how the players view Hamilton as a coach and as a person. Good background information as well, well written overall

• Pete Hamilton’s experience helps players improve

Locker Room

Dutko twins gear up for tennis season

Locker Room

Thole twins headed for success in gymnastics, wrestling

Locker Room

Thomas Bruchu develops as year-round athlete

Locker Room

Corcoran team leader during last season

Locker Room

Coach Doman’s leads hockey team, strong coaching skills

Locker Room

Sara Scalia following in father’s footsteps with basketball

Locker Room

Yeary shows signs of stardom with basketball

Locker Room

Seth Eisele keeps hockey team in check

Locker Room

Jingco’s basketball talent carries team

Locker Room

Raleigh accepted on varsity hockey team