Boys, girls hockey beings season strong

Photo by Jack Reinseth- This is a picture of the state hockey tournament. Manning says, “There’s definitely unfinished business from last year, having lost our second and third games in the tourney. We expected a lot more last year, but all the more reason to work harder to make sure that doesn’t happen again.”

Hockey is under way for boys and girls varsity and both teams are off to a fast start on the season. The boys are a favorite for another “trek to the X” and a state title, beginning the season ranked number two according to the Let’s Play Hockey rankings.  The girls are in an exciting position this year, being overwhelmed by young talent, the future looks bright.

Led by Noah Cates and Luke Manning, the boys Hockey team is filled with undeniable talent and depth. This is a team that can go four lines deep and compete with any team in the state and at the same time display remarkable finesse and silky mitts.

The true talent of this team really shows in practice, the vision and playmaking that’s shown day-in and day-out is unbelievable.”

— Josh Long

Junior forward Josh Long said, “The true talent of this team really shows in practice, the vision and playmaking that’s shown day-in and day-out is unbelievable.”

Leadership on the girls hockey team will be crucial this season considering the amount of underclassmen on the team. Captains will play a big role in bridging the gaps between the inexperienced and the experienced, in doing so will bring this team together and hopefully allow them to improve on an 8-15-1 record set last year.

Sophomore Grace Arkell said, “Our captains are proactively making sure everyone gets along together and they do a really good job making sure all the younger girls feel welcomed on the team.”

The boys got off to a quick start to the season beating East Ridge, Lakeville South, Roseville and Cretin-Derham Hall. They are perfect through their first four games and remain ranked #2 in the state only trailing behind projected NHL first round draft pick Casey Mittelstadt and the Eden Prairie Eagles.

Sophomore forward Adam Eisele said, “Being ranked number two in the state definitely adds a little pressure to every game, every time we take the ice we know that the whole state is watching us to see how we do.”

Ranked 20th in the state, the girls start the season 4-3 which includes an upset win over ninth ranked Cretin-Derham Hall. The girls rallied back from a 2-0 hole to beat Cretin 3-2 in overtime proving that they are not a team to be overlooked.

Arkell added, “We proved to everyone that we can skate with any team, we are for real this season and can compete with any team in the state.”

Both boys and girls hockey share one common goal and that is to bring a state championship back to Stillwater. For the boys they are still looking for their first championship in school history and if there was ever a year to bring home a state title, this is the year to do it.

“We have one goal this season and that is to bring a state championship back home to Stillwater,” said Long.

14 Responses to “Boys, girls hockey beings season strong”

1. Ryan Shepard on January 17th, 2017 10:16 am

The quote at the very end of the article really summed up both the hopes of the girls and boys hockey season and summarized the whole article which is really cool. Also I like how you included who was #1 in state and why. Overall a really well done article and gives a good insight on the teams coming up this winter.

2. Kevin Thole on January 17th, 2017 12:43 pm

This was a very well written article. The goals of both teams were examined and offers a good analysis of what the teams can accomplish this winter. I also think the final quote in the article was very strong and nicely concluded the story.

3. Emma Salmi on January 17th, 2017 10:32 pm

I think the article was very well written. The “Let’s Play Hockey” link, in the beginning, was helpful and informative. The first quote from Josh Long was also very meaningful along with the other quotes too. I like all of the facts and research done, all of which is accurate.

4. lauren gella on January 18th, 2017 12:21 pm

I love the links because they tell readers a lot more about major topics of the article. The quotes were awesome and the part about the girl’s team having a young team is so true because I’m on the girls hockey team and you explained our situation very well.

5. Olivia Knox on January 30th, 2017 9:25 am

I like how you used specific events that each team played in to show the in-depth research you did.

6. Anthony Alvarado on February 7th, 2017 11:07 am

You did a great job combining facts from both the boys and girls’ team. With two very different teams, it’s hard to have flow but you did very well with that.

7. Noah Ness on February 7th, 2017 11:19 am

This story did a really good job providing information on both of the teams and not letting one team dominate the article. It was also creative how you alternated back and forth between which team you were talking about to have a good balance throughout the story.

8. Max Korth on February 7th, 2017 6:49 pm

Very well written article, and doesn’t show bias towards either the boys or the girls team. Also gave strong intriguing quotes that kept you interested in the article.

9. Jared Taylor on February 9th, 2017 7:46 am

The facts presented in this story are great, they are high in detail and help people that do not follow or understand high school hockey to be able to understand what is going on. And the quotes used easily flow through the article weaving it all together.

10. Katie Tanski on February 9th, 2017 11:53 am

This article did a great job combining both teams and providing information about both teams season.

11. Ryan Berg on February 9th, 2017 4:44 pm

This article was very detailed and well written. It was clear you did your research and knew what you were talking about. The interviews also really backed up the story.

12. Rustam on February 10th, 2017 10:21 am

I think this article was well written with really nice pictures and picture angles. The story catches your attention by taking pride on the ponies and stating we are #1

13. Gabe Wagner on February 13th, 2017 11:55 am

Story was very well written and easy to read. Author did a good job of not just focusing on one team or the other and provided good quotes from key players to back up facts.

14. Josh Bauer on February 13th, 2017 1:35 pm

Very good and well constructed article. You can tell the author knows a lot about the sport and really put effort into writing this.

• Boys, girls hockey beings season strong

Photo Slide Shows

Baseball starts season training in Kansas City

Read & Watch

Ultimate frisbee team gains momentum

Photo Slide Shows

Synchronized swim focuses on teamwork

Photo Slide Shows

Pinning down state wrestling tournament

Photo Slide Shows

Lacrosse team among best in conference

Photo Slide Shows

Softball trains hard, prepares for season

Photo Slide Shows

Wrestling team among top in conference

Photo Slide Shows

Gymnastics team prepares for sections after topping long-time competitor

Photo Slide Shows

Boys basketball starts off behind, looking to improve

Photo Slide Shows

Nordic Skiing teams looking ahead to new season

Boys, girls hockey beings season strong