New Pathways program expects to roll out in 2020-2021 school year

Photo by Morgan Hildreth

Students from the Pathways team are working with administration to help finalize details concerning Pathways before Pony Possibility night in January. This year, Pony Possibilities night will include the addition these Pathways.

Morgan Hildreth, Camera Editor

Transitioning from middle school into high school can be a scary time for some. To help reduce the anxiety for incoming freshman and their families, Pony Possibilities night was created. Pony Possibilities is a night were families can come in and learn a bit about scheduling, transitioning into the high school and how the high school works in general.  Pony Possibility night is on Jan. 27 at 6 p.m. in the auditorium.

Guidance counselor Sandra Weaver said, “Principal Bach goes through and talks about the importance of getting involved in activities and how we support students, and then the registration information and how they should plan for meeting all requirements and also exploring interests and that kind of thing.”

Principal Bach goes through and talks about the importance of getting involved in activities and how we support students, and then the kind of registration information and how they should plan for meeting all requirements and also exploring interests and that kind of thing.

— Sandra Weaver

The way students choose and schedule their classes is changing for the upcoming school year. Students on the Pathways team and student council are working with faculty to roll out Pathways. Pathways is a way to categorize the types of classes one can take at the high school. The different pathways are Arts and Communication, STEM and Environment, Business and Health and Human Services.

Weaver added, “There will be four different kind of career pathway areas, and our courses will be divided out into those pathways.  It is not like you pick a pathway and you have to stay in that pathway.”

For example, if students are interested in business and a student finds a class in the arts and communication pathway that interests them, the student is more than welcome to take said class.

Social Studies teacher Bob Manning said, “Your choices are broader than they were in the past,” in reference to adding in these pathways for students.

Families and students of all grades are welcome to attend Pony Possibility night. Those who will attend will receive clarification about scheduling, pathways and class courses for the upcoming school year.

In a meeting on the topic of introducing the Pathways, Bach added that by rolling out these pathways, the administration will be able to help make class registration easier for the students and their families.

Pony Possibilities night will help to reduce stress and answer questions anyone may have.

Weaver said, “There’s teachers set up, like booths where the parents can ask questions for teachers. There’s usually clubs and organizations set up so they can see what’s available for kids to get involved in.”

If any families have any questions or concerns about the upcoming school year, their question will probably be answered at Pony Possibility night. Any additional questions or concerns can be brought up with faculty after the presentation.

Pathways does not change the classes students need to take. Students still need to meet the state required credits. Pathways only help with the electives students get to choose.

Weaver added, “Students still have to meet the general requirements. I don’t know if that’ll change in the future, but for right now students still have to meet the regular requirements.”