Synchronized swimming goes to State

Photo by Sadie Heieren

The synchronized swimming team practices everyday after school, getting ready to compete at state competitions this year. Their goal is to earn high scores and support their team through the event.

Sadie Heieren, Photographer

State competitions are approaching fast for the synchronized swim team. Their practices are getting more intense and the pressure is beginning to set in for the swimmers, especially since teamwork is a big part of the sport.

The synchronized swimming team practices started in early March. They practice everyday after school and even on some Saturdays. The team hopes for amazing high scores as they prepare to compete at state on May 23 and 24.

Synchronized swimming tests strength and perseverance. It requires strong lungs and lots of leg work. Swimming itself is tiring, so dancing in the water makes it more challenging. Nevertheless, the girls on the team are prepared to fight to get better and stronger, swimming laps over and over again just as a warm up.

“I think synchro is different. Not a lot of people do it and it’s really really physically challenging, so it’s fun to see like what different moves I can do,” sophomore Ruby Ballantine said.

“I want to show what I can do because I’ve been working so hard during the year to do well. It’s interesting, it’s not what people think it is. You might think of girls wearing a flower cap, but it’s not like that at all,” Ballantine added.

Going to state is an opportunity for the team, it is an experience not everyone gets to have.

I think synchro is different. Not a lot of people do it and it’s really really physically challenging, so it’s fun to see like what different moves I can do.

— Ruby Ballantine

“Getting high scores at the state championship is what we work all season for,” head coach Kathryn Henderson said.

It is intense and nerve racking, as any kind of performance or competition is, however it is also fun and exciting for the girls.

“Each girl and each routine has goals they are working towards, and achieving certain scores are usually part of those goals. My job as an coach is to give them the skills needed to achieve those goals and those scores,” Henderson added.

Synchronized swimming takes a lot of dedication. The pressure to not let down their team drives them to work hard and commit to the sport. The members of the team are like a family; they support each other and are friends, but they also get competitive when needed.

Junior Grace Henke likes being on the team, they are competitive with each other but can also come together and be an family too, she said.

“I like being able to express myself in the water and not have to be worried about other people judging because a lot of people don’t know what synchronized swimming is, so they don’t know if you’re doing something wrong,” Henke said.

Earning their way to state, the synchronized swimming team is committed to their sport. Through a balance of teamwork and a drive to improve themselves, they are determined to be ready when the state competitions arrive.

“We all have to work together and know when to push at the right time and know what strength is needed for that lift. We all support each other, no matter what.” Henke said.