Synchro team shoots for success

Ciana Fragnito, Social Media Reporter

The team puts in countless hours to have the success they do in a sport so unique from many others. “The thing I like most about this sport is that others don’t have is the ability for one to go out into the water and look so effortless and enjoyable even though they are working every muscle in their body to the fullest,” senior captain Grace Gualtieri says.

Synchronized swimming, or as some call it underwater dancing, has had a long legacy of great athletes doing great things at Stillwater. The team’s competitive side paired with the bonds formed between their teammates, creates a recipe for success. That is exactly what they have had and are preparing to have for the upcoming season.

Coach Kathy Henderson, who began coaching in 2012, continuously pushes each athlete to perform at their full potential, which in turn betters the team as a whole. This sport, unlike any other, combines rhythm, skill, and most importantly breath holding all to make the sport this team knows and loves.

The team forms close bonds with one another as they all work towards a common goal of perfecting their routines and relying on one another to do the same. The friendships are necessary to get to know the people you will be working so closely with to achieve one common goal.

The atmosphere that is within each routine of groups, trios, and duets is strong as everyone is trying to work together to improve their routine”

— Grace Gualateiri

“The atmosphere that is within each routine of groups, trios, and duets is strong as everyone is trying to work together to improve their routine,” senior captain Grace Gualateiri said.

“The team aspect is very different than other sports. We have one big team but several other small teams including 8 person routines, trios, duets, and solos. The people you become the closest with are the members of your respective routines,” junior Claire Summary said.

Henderson is able to see the chemistry within the team, but more importantly looks at the team as a family. One family supporting one another through ups and downs that come with competing at any sport.

“Chemistry is VERY important in synchronized swimming. We become a very tight-knit family for three months of the year. With any family, there are ups and downs, but overall the girls are supportive and encouraging of one another, and they’re all working towards the same goals. If someone makes a mistake or misses a practice they know that they are letting their teammates down,” Henderson said.

The team is now about halfway through the season and is looking forward to finishing strong leading into sections and state. The team hopes to close the tighten the gap between long time state champion Wayzata.

“Hopefully we can pull off another win at our section meet . As for the state meet, the competition will be really hard, but we’ll be striving to maintain our second place position, and maybe even close the gap between us and 1st place Wayzata,” Henderson said.

The synchronized swimming annual show is May 4 at 7 p.m. at the Stillwater Junior High pool. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $5.

3 Responses to “Synchro team shoots for success”

1. Linnea Phillips on May 8th, 2017 10:12 am

Great article about a topic not many people know much about. It showed emotion and facts without seeming biased or opinionated. Clear facts present with quotes and a way you can become involved by telling when the next show is. Great job!

2. Sonia Moran on May 8th, 2017 10:47 am

Really good article, I use to be in synchro so it was really interesting to read about how they are doing now. I love how you interviewed the coach and how in-depth she went when it comes to how the team works together.

3. Olivia Knox on May 8th, 2017 1:49 pm

I really like how you took a sport that is not the most popular, and got the coach to talk in detail about it. The response you got from interviewing shows your questions were great!

• Synchro team shoots for success

People

Advanced sophomores graduate early

• Synchro team shoots for success

Photo Slide Shows

Girls lacrosse looking to replicate last season

• Synchro team shoots for success

Big fun at Big Thrill Factory

• Synchro team shoots for success

Locker Room

Parker Anderson masters golf

• Synchro team shoots for success

Activities

Young life gains popularity

• Synchro team shoots for success

Photo Slide Shows

Boys tennis team serving up high expectations

• Synchro team shoots for success

Sixth graders suit up for ‘The Lion King’

• Synchro team shoots for success

Focus

Photojournalism: vital form of news

• Synchro team shoots for success

Photo Slide Shows

Mattson, Constant begin makeup account

• Synchro team shoots for success

Focus

Journalism turns a new page

Synchro team shoots for success