Unbreakable second grade friendship still holding strong after nine years

Haley Nelson, Online Editor

Photo by Haley Nelson
Many students walk past Adam in the hallways during the school day. Adam tries to say hi to everyone he knows. Trey is one person that Adam will see throughout the days in the hallways.

Juniors Trey Kruse and Adam Potter have been best friends since second grade at Stonebridge elementary school. A friendship unlike most, Trey is an honor student and captain of the wrestling team, and Adam is a student with autism, but “special” is just one word that Trey would use to describe their friendship.

Moving from Nevada, Potter did not have very many friends at his old school, but coming to Stonebridge, Adam and Trey soon became friends. Their parents were not made aware of this, but when they did, it was exhilarating.

Adam’s mom had not been in the classroom very much when people kept approaching her, “I was out in public and people just asking me if I had seen their relationship at Stonebridge,” Lisa Potter, mother of Adam Potter, said.

The bond between Adam and Trey is unusual to most people because it is not very common that an honor student and special ed student become friends.

“Other people don’t take the time to be friends with special needs kids,” Trey said.

This friendship is not just one that often exists in school, Adam and Trey spend time together outside of school also, doing things that all friends would do.

It just almost seems like he is content, he seems like he’s a little anxious before he says hi to him, just cause that really important to him to say hi to Trey, so, it’s almost like a relief when he sees Trey.

— Michael McMillan

Adam and Trey do more then just hang out at each other’s houses, “They generally go out to places so they will go out to lunch together, go to the Pony Activity Center, go bowling, or they will go to sky zone,” Lisa said.

Seeing Trey in the halls is a day-maker for Adam, which is just one reason why Trey takes the same ways to each class every day.

“It just almost seems like he is content, he seems like he’s a little anxious before he says hi to him, just cause that really important to him to say hi to Trey, so, it’s almost like a relief when he sees Trey,” Michael McMillan, Adam’s para since sixth grade, said.

Both of the boys will graduate after next school year and going separate ways. Trey will be going off to college and Adam will be attending a transitional school.

People close to Adam and Trey have different opinions on how their future after high school will look like for the friendship, but Lisa is confident that they will stay connected. She compared this friendship to “any other friendship that is separated by distance” in that even the boys might stay in contact but if they don’t, like Potter does, they will always be a part of their lives and will remember each other. 

Many people have seen this story with the Kare 11 news segment or in person. Touching the hearts of many people, this friendship between Adam and Trey is both unusual and remarkable.