Unbreakable second grade friendship still holding strong after nine years

Haley Nelson, Online Editor

Photo by Haley Nelson
Many students walk past Adam in the hallways during the school day. Adam tries to say hi to everyone he knows. Trey is one person that Adam will see throughout the days in the hallways.

Juniors Trey Kruse and Adam Potter have been best friends since second grade at Stonebridge elementary school. A friendship unlike most, Trey is an honor student and captain of the wrestling team, and Adam is a student with autism, but “special” is just one word that Trey would use to describe their friendship.

Moving from Nevada, Potter did not have very many friends at his old school, but coming to Stonebridge, Adam and Trey soon became friends. Their parents were not made aware of this, but when they did, it was exhilarating.

Adam’s mom had not been in the classroom very much when people kept approaching her, “I was out in public and people just asking me if I had seen their relationship at Stonebridge,” Lisa Potter, mother of Adam Potter, said.

The bond between Adam and Trey is unusual to most people because it is not very common that an honor student and special ed student become friends.

“Other people don’t take the time to be friends with special needs kids,” Trey said.

This friendship is not just one that often exists in school, Adam and Trey spend time together outside of school also, doing things that all friends would do.

It just almost seems like he is content, he seems like he’s a little anxious before he says hi to him, just cause that really important to him to say hi to Trey, so, it’s almost like a relief when he sees Trey.”

— Michael McMillan

Adam and Trey do more then just hang out at each other’s houses, “They generally go out to places so they will go out to lunch together, go to the Pony Activity Center, go bowling, or they will go to sky zone,” Lisa said.

Seeing Trey in the halls is a day-maker for Adam, which is just one reason why Trey takes the same ways to each class every day.

“It just almost seems like he is content, he seems like he’s a little anxious before he says hi to him, just cause that really important to him to say hi to Trey, so, it’s almost like a relief when he sees Trey,” Michael McMillan, Adam’s para since sixth grade, said.

Both of the boys will graduate after next school year and going separate ways. Trey will be going off to college and Adam will be attending a transitional school.

People close to Adam and Trey have different opinions on how their future after high school will look like for the friendship, but Lisa is confident that they will stay connected. She compared this friendship to “any other friendship that is separated by distance” in that even the boys might stay in contact but if they don’t, like Potter does, they will always be a part of their lives and will remember each other. 

Many people have seen this story with the Kare 11 news segment or in person. Touching the hearts of many people, this friendship between Adam and Trey is both unusual and remarkable.

Haley Nelson, Online Editor

Hi, My name is Haley Nelson and I'm a junior. I am an online editor this year. I play varsity soccer for the high school. Besides playing sports, I love...

14 Responses to “Unbreakable second grade friendship still holding strong after nine years”

1. Elle Sprenger on December 21st, 2018 9:10 am

The title was very compelling and caught my interest. I thought the quotes were really good and in depth. I think the article included other perspectives really well with included Adams mom and her perspective and her thoughts about their future friendship.

2. Emma Boehle on December 21st, 2018 9:12 am

This story immediately grabs people’s attention. It’s filled with emotion and a beautiful friendship. The bond between Trey and Adam is unbreakable and it just goes to show that despite difficulties there friendship is real. Just one person can make such a big difference in Adams life, that person is Trey. Trey sees Adam as any other normal kid and that’s what’s so beautiful about it.

3. Hannah Genosky on December 21st, 2018 9:14 am

I think this story is really touching and inspiring to a lot of people. This one is super sweet and I love reading this article. I have also watched the news story on it and it was so cute so I decided to comment on this one. The one quote by Adam’s para that is on the right hand on the article in a box is very sweet and emotional. The author of this article went really well into depth into the story and did a really good job on it! She went into depth about their friendship and even interviewed Adam;s mom.

4. Annamarie Born on December 21st, 2018 9:17 am

This author uses compelling quotes to help the readers see how close of fiends Trey and Adam are. The quotes show how important their relationship is. This story is very heartwarming and I like how the author conducted this story. The author showed everyone how important friendship is to people

5. Megan Baxter on December 21st, 2018 9:18 am

This story is very well written, you gave very detailed quotes that really pulled me into the story. The headline to this story caught my attention, because it’s really hard to keep in contact with people, but this proves that there is always a way. I love how you brought attention to the fact that seeing Trey, Adam feels a sense of comfort. This story really makes it known how just a simple hello from someone can really change their day. Amazing job Haley!

6. Taylor Lee on December 21st, 2018 10:20 am

Your story is so thoughtful, respectful and sweet. I picked this article because Boyt Huppert also covered this story on Kare 11 and he came to our Newspaper class on Monday. You did a great job with detailed language. I love the story of them. Awesome job!

7. Nick Parent on January 1st, 2019 9:51 pm

Your story is well written and makes you think about the friendships we each have in our own lives. You used language that made the reader feel the importance of the friendship between Trey and Adam. We all need to step out of our comfort zones.

8. Paige Sanders on January 2nd, 2019 6:03 pm

I love how this story shows the importance of friendship. When it comes to friends, it is sometimes hard to find your people or person who you call your ‘best friend(s)’. It is clear that Adam goes to Trey when he is feeling anxious and Trey is a reliever of Adam’s anxiety. This story truly shows how having a best friend can really impact your life in a positive way.

9. Ella Stratmann on January 2nd, 2019 11:02 pm

This story is remarkable. It contains such great detail, and the writer seems to have a true passion about this topic. This story teaches people a lot of things. There are many themes and messages hidden behind this story. There were great quotes and strong use of vocal. there was great description and a good background to the story also.

10. Ella Stratmann on January 2nd, 2019 11:04 pm

truly is a remarkable story. There is a lot of passion in this story and it warms peoples hearts. This story uses great background information. Also contains good vocabulary.

11. Grace Roeske on January 3rd, 2019 8:26 am

The title really caught my eye. The writer seems excited to be writing the story and very interested in the topic. The author is also good at telling the information about how their friendship had started and made it a very heartwarming mood. This also makes you think about some of the own friendships in your own life.

12. Sierra Hippel on January 3rd, 2019 8:53 am

The quotes used in this story are very strong. The way the story is described of the two boys friendship is portrayed very well, with good details. It is a heartwarming writing that is very well written and organized.

13. Chas Morgan on January 3rd, 2019 9:03 pm

This story has been covered by top news outlets like KARE and you took a good approach from a students perspective and told the story that many know and found a way to make it special for anyone reading. Very good quotes and perspective.

14. Benjamin Jacobs on January 3rd, 2019 11:50 pm

I thought the transitions into quotes was done very well. I also enjoyed how it was not simply focused on their friendship then, but also focused on what they do now. The flow of this story went very well and it was a good read.

• Unbreakable second grade friendship still holding strong after nine years

Superintendent Pontrelli addresses concerns of trust among board members

School board further reduces 2019-2020 budget to fill deficit, still does not comply with policy R 5.4

Board meeting red-out: students stand in support of Student Council President representation

Black History Month represents growing community for students of color

Student council puts on BLAST week

Retired educators hold first ever Sweetheart Ball for school safety

Stillwater alumni deliver success stories at Girl Power Event

Downtown’s colorful light tunnel attracts locals

Winter semi-formal dazzles dance-goers

Pony Possibilities Night seeks out eighth graders