Spring NHS coffeehouse preparing for unique performances

Alternative Copy story by Will Gleason

As the end of the year approaches, many fun student led events are taking place at the school, including spring Coffeehouse. This year’s Coffeehouse is expected to have a vibrant mix of performances and changes that are sure to captivate audiences.

National Honor Society hosts the acoustic charity concert in both the winter and spring. Coffeehouse is  popular with students and tickets usually sell out fast. The members of NHS will have a lot to handle this Coffeehouse with moving to the auditorium, changes to the style of performances and a larger student body to service. Nevertheless, NHS is prepared to put on an excellent show.

Coffeehouse has been a staple piece of student life for many years. The performance draws in a more supportive audience and talented performers every time. With Coffeehouse being a well established tradition, it falls on NHS to persuade students to audition with new and unique acts. The officers are confident they have succeeded in creating a new and diverse setlist.

“We wanted a little more diversity in the kinds of acts this year. Something I’ve noticed is that it tends to be either acoustic, piano, or singing and that’s it. We have a dancing act and band performing, as well as a couple other acts I think the audience will look forward to,” junior NHS officer Ryan Olds said.

In order to spice up the event with new acts and accommodate for the larger student body, a larger venue is required for this Coffeehouse. Traditionally, Coffeehouse is held in the Black Box Theater, a smaller auditorium that only seats about 100. The 400 capacity main auditorium used for fine arts became a naturally good answer to the space problem, while still keeping the event in the school.

“This is the first time we’ve hosted spring Coffeehouse in the auditorium, so it will be very new for students,” senior NHS Vice President Annabel Gregg said.

It’s a really great show.  We have people sing originals songs and groups of people who wouldn’t normally be together. There really isn’t any other place to do that other than Coffeehouse. It’s a very unique place and setting.

— Anna Duerr

With each Coffeehouse, the planning group from NHS goes through a long, and often stressful, process to put the show on. With the larger school community, all planning will have to take place on a larger scale. According to the officers, the club has an in-depth pre-Coffeehouse checklist that they hope will bring them as much success as past years.

“Typically we start a couple months ahead of the event and recruit students to audition. About a month before the show, we host all auditions, which usually take two days. We put together our officers, or our planning pod and then we cut acts, post who made it, we make program, decide where the money is going, ask local business to donate food and then we sell tickets. And then the show of course,” Gregg explained about the planning process.

While the event has a lot of changes, NHS has the faith of the community to put on a great show. It is clear Coffeehouse has an inspiring impact on the student body and community. Seeing talented peers passionately perform for a noble cause is an everlasting joy.

“It’s a really great show.  We have people sing originals songs and groups of people who wouldn’t normally be together. There really isn’t any other place to do that other than Coffeehouse. It’s a very unique place and setting,” senior NHS President Anna Duerr commented on Coffeehouse’s impact.