Filed under News, News Briefs

WALKOUT: SAHS walks out to remember Parkland victims

Select students made protest signs for the student-led walkout on March 14 to protest gun laws and school safety. "It was powerful to step through the doors with everyone, right at 10 a.m," Maggie Jones, senior and student leader said.

To participate in the nationwide protest, SAHS students walked out at 10 a.m. local time Wednesday to remember the victims of the horrific Marjory Stoneman Douglas school shooting and demand gun control from the nation’s leaders.

The walkout took place on March 14 at 10 a.m. and lasted for 17 minutes. The walkout was organized by seniors Erica Lemcke, Adam Johnson, Maggie Jones, Hannah Gilsdorf and juniors Anna Weirtz and Hannah Sween. Throughout the course of the month the students planned activities that would take place during the walkout, including lighting 17 candles, reading the names and a moment of silence.

At 10 a.m. students left their classes and made their way to the main rotunda, where they were then directed to the main gathering space outside the Pony Activity Center.

“[I walked out] to use my freedom of speech and to take advantage of our rights, speak out, and to pay tribute to the lives lost,” senior Peyton Sitz said.

Updates will be posted throughout the day.

Hunter Hippel, Online Editor in Chief
Hunter Hippel is a senior and an Online Editor-in-Chief.  He also owns and operates his own sports blog, hippelsportshub.wordpress.com.  He has a great passion for sports, and loves music and movies too.

3 Responses to “WALKOUT: SAHS walks out to remember Parkland victims”

1. Darcy on March 14th, 2018 3:07 pm

Thank you for sharing this event with us and for posting photos. It’s so inspiring to see what you are doing!

2. Mr. Kraft on March 14th, 2018 4:17 pm

I am so proud of the students of SAHS who participated and the student leaders who organized the rally/protest. As a former social studies teacher, it makes me extremely proud to see young women and young men exercising their first amendment right of peaceful assembly in a respectful and meaningful way. Go Ponies!!!!

3. Paxton Watson on April 22nd, 2018 6:20 pm

I liked this article because it was informative and straight to the point.It helped me understand the topic more and see another viewpoint.

• WALKOUT: SAHS walks out to remember Parkland victims

Football field movie night brings students together

Featured Videos

First ever girls ultimate frisbee team emerges

School experiments with after school A La Carte option

“Wait, are you the Rock girl?” Katie Kelzenberg’s promposal garners big attention

Jumping into spring with ninth, tenth grade formal

April 20 walkout marks 19 year anniversary of Columbine

Prom committee plans for a night in the roaring twenties

Remembering Parkland victims with walkout, demanding safety

School Board postpones discussion on school start times

Asian Student Union builds strong bonds