Community prepares for Super Bowl

Photo by Will Gleason
Although the super bowl is close to home this year, students say they’d rather watch the game from home than go to US Bank Stadium to watch.“I’d rather watch the game at home than at the stadium because I feel like you get a better view on TV,” junior Jonathan Kraemer said.

As the football season comes to an end, many Minnesotans become exited for Super Bowl LII. On Feb. 4, students and teachers will fill up the couches, restaurants and streets to watch the annual spectacle.

The last Super Bowl to be played in Minnesota was on Jan. 26, 1992, at the Metrodome in Minneapolis where the Washington Redskins defeated the Buffalo Bills by a score of 37 to 24. The Super Bowl is a rare opportunity for cities, and it brings in $620 million on average.

While this may be a huge win for local business owners, tickets for the Super Bowl are going for around $6000. This is why many students and teachers celebrate the annual competition away from the arena.

“I’d rather watch the game at home than at the stadium because I feel like you get a better view on TV,” junior Jonathan Kraemer said. On TV, viewers will always get every possible angle, and people can pause whenever, they like whereas at a game fans look away for one second and they could miss the most important play. Not to mention, all of the food anyone could want is just ten feet away in your refrigerator.

Many people watch the game with beverages, snacks and any other food that they can order or cook. Americans are expected to spend $14.1 billion on Super Bowl Festivities. They will also eat 28 million pounds of chips, 1.25 billion chicken wings and 8 million pounds of guacamole. Students and teachers will have hundreds of choices for Super Bowl treats.

Are you going to watch the Super Bowl 2018?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“My favorite Super Bowl food is chips and guacamole, but it’s always nice to have a little pizza to go along with it,” math teacher Rob Benson said.

After stuffing their faces, people will settle down in the fourth quarter to watch teams battle it out. Many teams that have not been to the Super Bowl in some years, such as the Vikings, Steelers and the Patriots, are looking to defend their title. With a solid offense, stellar defense and home field advantage, many people this year are expecting Minnesota to go the Super Bowl.

Alternative Copy Story by Jack Seipel

“I think the Vikings are going to the Super Bowl this year,” junior Jaxon Leverty said.

Although the Vikings may make it to the Super Bowl, that does not mean they will go unchallenged. The Steelers, Patriots, and Eagles have been the top ranked teams all year, along with the Vikings, and they have many skilled players on all parts of their line-up.

Regardless of who makes it to the Super Bowl, it is a rare opportunity for students and teachers to experience it, even if they cannot attend the game.  No matter where you go, there will be classic dishes and people who love the game and would be more than thrilled if the Vikings win it all.