New year brings new books for media center

Rose Deziel, Copy Editor

Alternative Copy Story and Photos by Lilly Sample

From the beginning of this school year, the media paraprofessional, Mary Peters had been searching through an extensive list of books to find ones that would best suit the high school, in her opinion.  In the end, the list was narrowed down to about 60 books.

With the list complete, Peters ordered the books which have been trickling into the media center since Dec. 5.  Some of the new books include Stephen King’s “IT” and John Green’s “Turtles all the way Down.”  The books were selected based on ratings.  Peters hopes that the new library books spark students’ interest in reading as well as heighten their awareness of the world.

“I go through a long process.  I start at the very beginning of the school year,” Peters said.

First, there was a set price limit before Peters made any purchases.  To select the books, she initially went to the Young Adult Library Services Association’s website because the group reviews young adult literature.  Peters said she selects books that are appropriate and educational.  Lastly, she researched some more, and then picked the books with the highest ratings.

I really like to read and it’s kind of an escape from life.  It is fun.  I learn a lot from reading also.”

— Natalie Peterson

“I think that ‘IT’ will be a popular one.  I’ve had at least 30 students request the book,” Peters added.

The movie “IT” was a great success last year, as it racked up $123 million on its opening night.  According to Variety magazine, it was the third largest opening night of 2017.  In response to the movie, it is likely that more people were prompted to read the book.

“I really like to read and it’s kind of an escape from life.  It is fun.  I learn a lot from reading also,” junior Natalie Peterson said.

Reading has numerous benefits.  Studies have shown that reading improves a person’s vocabulary, writing skills and it also reduces stress.  As a person reads, they pick up new words that they can incorporate into their conversations later.  In turn, their writing becomes stronger as they use a variety of words and sentence structures.  

Brandon Maxwell, English teacher and AVID instructor, believes that reading is what pushed him to become an English teacher.  Although he admits that he did not always enjoy reading, he said that once he found the right book, reading became one of his passions.  Because of this, he wants to send a message to students.

“I would challenge students who haven’t found that one book that has ignited a passion for them, that has been something that they have really enjoyed, to get down to the media center.  Keep working to find that one book because it will change their life when they get it,” Maxwell said.

12 Responses to “New year brings new books for media center”

1. Emma Polucha on January 10th, 2018 8:32 am

I like how there’s a list of new books. It shows readers what ones are available to them now. The teachers challenging the students on what they read is a good addition. It shows the support from teacher for people starting to read.

2. Malaina Fragnito on January 10th, 2018 10:12 am

I like to see that our school is still updating the library. I also appreciate that the media specialist is doing extensive research to find quality books that students will like and be interested in, very informative!

3. Katherine Poor on January 10th, 2018 12:46 pm

I like that you gave examples of the book they are adding and I liked how you explained how the books were chosen and why. Thus was a really good article, very informative without being boring. Good work!

4. Gabrielle Danielson on January 11th, 2018 11:10 am

I loved this article. It provide a lot of really good information. I liked that all of my questions were answered while reading this. I also like the way you approached writing this.

5. Jameson Stahl on January 16th, 2018 2:34 pm

This was a very informative article and the alternative copy, as well as the interactive element, went well together. The in-depth description of the process was a good touch and gave me something that I wouldn’t have known otherwise.

6. Madison Weispfenning on January 16th, 2018 2:52 pm

I like how this story gives good feedback on the books and how they were chosen. I also really like the ALT copy it really shows the look of the book. Which I know “Don’t judge a book be it’s cover” it a strong statement, but also the look of a book can really change a perspective. Love It.

7. Arieanna Junghans on January 16th, 2018 6:41 pm

I really like the way this article was written. It explains very well how the process of deciding the new books to come. I also really like the links that were put in. The way the author wrote it left no room for confusion.

8. Linnea Phillips on January 16th, 2018 7:09 pm

Very informative article that lists the new books in the library. Paired with a cool alt copy that really pulls readers in. Great job.

9. Mira LaNasa on January 16th, 2018 8:37 pm

This article was really informative and neat. The high use of links was incredibly helpful and I really appreciated the varied quotes. The alt copy helps with comprehension, and especially to get quick facts.

10. Abby Banks on January 17th, 2018 8:13 am

This story is so cute, I love the quotes and the way the story was organized. This is such strong writing as well, with great use of grammar and writing conventions. Good work!

11. Tess Schoenborn on January 17th, 2018 10:03 am

I liked The alt copy for this story and how it shows the requested books. I love Books and the library so I like to Know.

12. Morgan Grim on January 17th, 2018 11:09 am

I really enjoyed the alternative copy. Great photos and great layout. The article is very informative. I thought the interview was very interesting and gave good quotes.

• New year brings new books for media center

Local News

Herbs Brooks Foundation presents Sticks in Stillwater

Petition circulates to end Pony Activity Center fees

Flex time activities keep students engaged

YouTube Pacific Viperfish displays film-making creativity

Focus

District influences shift as community notices internal politics

Idea Quest garners original ideas from staff to improve district

Student Council plans big changes for winter Snoball dance

Local News

River Grove provides ‘nature-filled’ elementary education

Local News

Van Klei wins Paul Schmidt award

Lake Elmo adds immersion program this fall