Boys basketball looks forward to improve season

Logan Huber, Distribution Reporter

Alternative Copy Story by Austin Bergnuad

The boys basketball team is looking forward to improve on last year’s season and make a run for a conference title.  Junior captain Nate Shikenjanski and senior captain Evan Parker have been pushing the guys and preparing them for the season.

While finishing last season with a record of 3-24 and not finishing the season very strong, the boys have some revenge to seek and points to prove. With having a hard section, this goal will not be easy, but very tangible.

“I want to develop into the best team we can possibly be and to be champions, and to get better each day. I also want to become the best player and teammate possible, while getting consistent wins,” Shikenjanski said.

With four of the top 15 teams in the state in Stillwater’s conference, it will be a very hard conference to win. East Ridge, Cretin, Forest Lake and Woodbury are all strong, and high quality teams will need to be beaten to accomplish this goal.

Practices have been intense and this is really what we need as a team to be successful this season. It is not going to be easy, but I believe in ourselves and feel we can do it”

— Trenton Attwood

“Practices have been intense and this is really what we need as a team to be successful this season.  It is not going to be easy, but I believe in ourselves and feel we can do it,” junior Trenton Attwood said.

The team started off the season 1-3, with a big win against St. Francis and losses against North St. Paul, Eastview and Fridley.

Junior Nate Shikenjanski gets low and prepares to pass the ball. Shikenjanski hopes to lead the team to a great season. “I want to develop into the best team we can be, and to get better everyday.”

“The win against St. Francis on the road was a huge confidence builder and a good win to help start off the season.  Everyone contributed well and we are really starting to come together as a team,” Parker said.

The boys are going to need a lot of very good performances this season to be successful and they plan to do this by practicing and playing hard, and playing as a team.

“We are going to have to do everything our hardest, and that means if we are going to make mistakes, we are going to make them going 100 percent,” Parker said.

With expectations high, and a hard season ahead of them, the boys basketball team is going to need to bring it all to the table in order to be successful and meet their goals of a conference title, as well as a section and state title.