Filed under News

Student Council plans big changes for winter Snoball dance

As December begins, the talk of many students is the upcoming Snoball dance. This dance is unanimously a favorite amongst students. However, for this year’s Snoball dance Student Council plans on making the popular tradition have many new and fun twists.

In the past, Snoball has been held at Withrow Ballroom. This winter the venue will be unavailable because the ballroom is up for sale. Through collaboration with students and administrators it has been determined that this year’s Snoball dance will be held in either the Pony Activity Center at school or at Judd Sather downtown Stillwater.

Since Withrow Ballroom is no longer an option for the dance, finding a new venue has been difficult. The PAC is an ideal option because of its ability to accommodate large numbers of people. However, the gyms in the PAC are completely booked through December.

“The hard part is choosing the time. Like when to have it,” special education teacher and Student Council Director Dusty Dennis said. “There are basketball games, hockey games, the holidays and finals. We need it at a time where kids are able to show up. If we have it in the PAC it will be in the middle of January.”

If the dance is held at the PAC Student Council understands that students will be disappointed. Snoball has alway been at a different venue. But because of the chance the dance could be in the PAC, Student Council would use decorations to make the PAC unrecognizable.

“We want Snoball to stay popular so we would go all out. Make it the best decorated dance we have ever had. We would want to do something with the enterance to make it cool and we could use the track above too,” Dennis explained.

Where should Snoball be held?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Besides Snoball not being held at Withrow Ballroom, Student Council is considering making changes regarding music. In the past, DJs have been hired to play music from a student selected playlist. However, the music students want is only played a fraction of the time. Student Council may eliminate the a hired DJ all together.

“This year we are thinking about having students DJ it [Snoball] instead of older people,” junior Student Council member Nettie Johnson said. “We were thinking of having Noah Ness and Amit Kumra do it.”

Even if the dance is held in January, it will still be in the winter, which is one of the factors that makes Snoball a favorite for many students. It serves as an event students can look forward to having break up the winter.

“Winter is a really horrible time,” senior Student Council President Annabel Gregg said. “It is cold and miserable, but Snoball acts as a magical night during all of the cold weather where you can get dressed up with friends and go out and enjoy that time of the year.”

Snoball will undoubtedly be different than in the past. Student Council is aware of the issues this may cause and is working hard to create a successful winter dance regardless of the location.

“It is not about where the dance is at but how it is done and the people you are with,” Gregg explained. “Change isn’t bad it’s just different.”

10 Responses to “Student Council plans big changes for winter Snoball dance”

1. Mya Lysne on December 4th, 2017 4:26 pm

Very informative! I myself was wondering about the status of Snoball after hearing that Withrow Ballroom was unavailable. Quotes were great! I’m really excited for the dance now.

2. Andrew Phan on December 4th, 2017 6:15 pm

As a member of student council, I love to see the accurate details on snoball in the story. The infographic is good but it would’ve been nice to see a comparison of withrow ballroom and the new event center downtown. The quotes used from Annabel are very good and fit the story well with many students worried about snoball this answers many questions. Snoball won’t be in December and Evelyn’s approach to make student not worry that it may be in January is excellent with her explanation of why snoball is so wonderful.

3. Gabrielle Danielson on December 6th, 2017 8:27 am

The really liked the design of the Alt Copy. It has pictures from Snowball last year that are super cute. They capture how much fun the dance is by the smiles on everyones faces. I like that this story shows a lot about Snowball. There are pictures, info on the dance and where it previously has been held, and quotes from students.
    The links for each picture are a super fun idea and help a lot with understanding all the information given in the article.

4. Chloe Squires on December 6th, 2017 6:10 pm

I really enjoyed this article because it’s relevant and very interesting! I learned a lot about the changes being made this year, such as new venue and DJ options. Nice work!

5. Benjamin Valerius on December 8th, 2017 5:48 pm

I really liked how informative and timely this article was. The quotes as well did a nice job of informing the reader and were from a variety of trustworthy sources! I’m sure many students reading have benefited from the content of this article.

6. Malaina Fragnito on December 12th, 2017 9:40 pm

This article fits well into the timely part of the news requirements. I have never attended snowball because I have heard a lot of bad things about it. This article gives me hope that student council is trying to change that. I like that they are willing to try something new and have the best interest of the students in mnd. This article also had good quotes from members of student council.

7. Sophia Jensen on December 17th, 2017 9:10 pm

There was a good balance of sources from students and teachers. Overall this was very informative on the reasons why sno ball is changing locations and how different student council wanted to make it this year. Lots of students will look forward to this winter dance.

8. Cassie Ales on December 17th, 2017 9:36 pm

I love Annabel’s quotes, they add character to the story. The information on how they plan on decorating the for the dance is a nice addition to the story. It is really nice to know that student council is really involved in making sure that this is a good dance. The article is very informative and positive. I can confidently say that I am up to date with the news of snoball and I am looking forward to the dance!

9. Susan Hubbard on December 18th, 2017 12:35 am

The first sentence was a bit confusing and saying that snowball is a unanimous favorite contrasts the alt copy. The alt copy pictures were very fun and i think gave a good idea of the feel at snowball. strong and sometimes funny quotes

10. Jack Seipel on December 18th, 2017 8:07 am

This was a great article seeing that it gave opinions from people that are apart of the planning and organizing of snowball. Annabel gave great quotes that set up a good conclusion, and the layout of your article flowed very well. Way to use interpretations on how snowball has changed from year to year, and what students should expect for this year.

• Student Council plans big changes for winter Snoball dance

YouTube Pacific Viperfish displays film-making creativity

Focus

District influences shift as community notices internal politics

Idea Quest garners original ideas from staff to improve district

Local News

River Grove provides ‘nature-filled’ elementary education

Local News

Van Klei wins Paul Schmidt award

Lake Elmo adds immersion program this fall

Local News

Band department haunts ELC

Local News

Soft seating furniture allows for easy collaboration

Administrators update cell phone regulation policy

Local News

Flex Time rolls out school-wide