Filed under Arts

Soundest festival shows exciting lineup

The time has come when the nation decides to hold all types of festivals in multiple states across the country. Some of the more notable ones include Coachella, Lollapalooza and Ultra Music FestivalNow that the weather is warming up, people are breaking out their best festival attire. Around this time of year, Minnesota holds its own musical festival known as Soundset. 2017 marks the 10 year anniversary of Soundset, and many people are beyond ecstatic.

The lineup for this year’s festival houses more than 35 artists, some of which include Gucci Mane, Travis Scott and Mac Miller. Soundset is like a tiny, more affordable Coachella. It gives people a chance to make new friends and spend time outside while listening to music they enjoy.

“I went to Soundset 2016, and it was really fun. Going on the Ferris Wheel is one of the highlights,” senior Maddie Baitz said. “I’m really excited to see Spooky Black because I’ve been a fan of him for a long time.”

The environment of Soundset is easygoing and relaxed, which is something that draws people in, other than the music. Students are able to be themselves and escape the stress and worry that school provides.

“The atmosphere is really cool. People are so excited to see the artists, and it’s nice to spend time outside! I am also excited to spend time with all my friends,” junior Erica Lemcke said.

The atmosphere is really cool. People are so excited to see the artists, and it’s nice to spend time outside! I am also excited to spend time with all my friends.”

— Erica Lemcke

While Soundest is definitely similar to Coachella, it is definitely more affordable for students. Pre-sale tickets were around $70, and as of now, tickets are $84 with a fee of $12.41. Comparing these prices to Coachella’s, which are upwards of $500 for general admission, makes Soundset a much better option for students. Not only is Soundset more reasonably priced, but a lot of the artists at many other, more notable festivals, are the same ones that are performing at Soundset.

“I think the tickets are definitely reasonable because there are so many big artists, and a lot of concerts for just one artist can be even more expensive,” Baitz said.

Students that have not attended Soundset before should expect plenty of eccentric people and incredible music.

If students would like to go to a festival, but do not possess the funds to fly halfway across the U.S., their best option is to go to Soundest. The experience will be very much the same, just on a much smaller scale.