Student Council leaders selected

Photo by Alec Youngblood

One of next year’s student council presidents, Alaina Friedrich posses by school lockers. Campaigning can be difficult but Friedrich said, “It’s fun, because you get to make your campaign whatever you want it to be.”

Students exercised their right to vote in their history class on April 28. Though they may not quite be ready for the big time vote for the actual president of the United States, they chose four of the eight or 10 students (depending on the age) in their class who would represent them on student council. All eight junior members that were on student council last year ran again this year, but it was not certain that they would remain there.

The student council presidents, Alaina Friedrich and Sarah Matschi, were already chosen and beat out the pairs of Montana Day and Ivy Thompson and Caroline Meier and Amanda Williams. Those four, along with the other candidates, had to take part in another tough campaigning experience. All eight of this year’s junior members ran again this year.

Campaigning is a difficult process. Friedrich said, “It feels like walking on thin ice. Most people don’t care much about student council, so it’s hard to determine where the line falls in terms of being obnoxious verses effective in your campaign.” The candidates have a difficult time and need to make tough choices while campaigning. However, there are certain positive aspects that come out of it, and it can be enjoyed. “It’s fun, because you get to make your campaign whatever you want it to be,” said Friedrich.

It’s fun, because you get to make your campaign whatever you want it to be.

— Alaina Friederichs

After the results were announced, all eight of this year’s members were able to breathe a sigh of relief, as they were voted back on. The other four presidential candidates stayed on, as did the other two members this year, Lisse Bohan and Ellie Anderson. Along with the eight returning, two more, Lauren Jorgenson and Courtney Davis, were elected, since there are 10 senior members.

Of the sophomores from this year’s student council, only three were voted to be on it next year. New members include Joey Gebauer, Isabel Day, Eve Thompson, Mary Norkol and Kalley Quist.

They may have a tough time as new members, but about her first year, Friedrich said, “Since I hadn’t done anything like it before, I watched upperclassmen hold things together.”

It is quite a big deal for some of these students to be on it next year as well as this year. What may start as simply something to put on a resume, turns into a phenomenal life experience. “I can’t express enough how glad I am that I ran for student council. I’ve learned a lot about collaboration and I’ve learned been more about the importance of being proactive,” explained Friedrich.

Some students disregard the ballots and do not care too much about who they vote for. However, the members are vital to the performance of the group. Friedrich said, “Student council’s annual performance is entirely reliant on who is voted on. If you’re going to be a progressive group you need to have active minds and diligent ambition.”

The new crop of bright leaders is not completely decided, since the sophomores of next year still have to run. The group can be expected to do great things to help the school regardless.