Stillwater Pony Express

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 not worth the cost

Photo by Cody Rasch
This is the main loading screen for when entering a Call of Duty game. In this case it is for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, a game that was supposed to be the biggest hit of the year that in turn provided a major let down for a mind boggling price.

The game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, a cross-platform, first person, shooter game from one of the biggest franchises owned by Activision Blizzard, was long awaited by teenagers and gamers all over the world. As the Nov.10 release date got closer, a big question loomed: Is the game really worth my $70? Despite the questions, the game reached 100,000 players within the first hour of beta release, showing just how popular this game would be. However, reviews soon flooded in from disappointed fans of the game adding to the suspense stemming from that very question. The suspense driving the anticipation of the arrival of the blockbuster game’s release was the campaign to see the newest graphics and storyline, which were meant to set the stage for the biggest videogame drop of the year.

To be quite honest, when put to the test the new game did not live up to its initial expected greatness and is not worth the break of the bank. 

As soon as someone begins, the campaign they are are filled with fantastic graphics that will leave the player in awe, but this is about the only thing that makes Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 stand out from other games alike. The greatness of the graphics soon gets muffled by the game’s long, unskippable cutscenes with no choices for the player, making the user begin to be disinterested and craving a non-existent skip button. Most people would say that player interaction is what backs a game’s success and watching an unskippable scene with no choices is the exact opposite of player interaction. 

“Despite its moments of graphical splendor and fleeting advance, it ultimately feels half-baked, a shadow of what could have been a robust addition to the Call of Duty Anthology,” stated Entertainment Geekly.

The nonsensical narrative comes across as pitiful and dull. Further hindered by the uninspired mission design that never extends beyond ‘go here and shoot them.’

— The Game Crater

During the interactive portions of the campaign it feels like there is no complexity to the game. Each mission players are sent on in the campaign is titled differently, but when boiled down to it has the same basis: shoot the bad guys, automatically move to new location and shoot more bad guys, rinse and repeat until the mission is “complete”. The game feels like target practice, maybe even a $70 version of Big Buck Hunter, a game solely based around mindless shooting. A good game requires some easily followed storyline which this does not have. 

“The nonsensical narrative comes across as pitiful and dull. Further hindered by the uninspired mission design that never extends beyond ‘go here and shoot them,'” added The Game Crater.

Although most of the suspense from the game was based around the campaign, the multiplayer aspect of the game is still a large part of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. The multiplayer is good, but not anything spectacular and definitely not worth the price. When looking for a good multiplayer to play with friends Activision Blizzard actually created a great game, Call of Duty: Warzone 2 has a great multiplayer aspect for free and had a successful Halloween event that was better than any of the multiplayer versions on Modern Warfare 3. 

Ultimately, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was severely overhyped for what it turned out to be due to its storyline or lack thereof, the amount of long winded cut scenes that provided nothing to the narrative and the price point of $70. I would not recommend pouring money into this game there are plenty of more entertaining games on the market for a fraction of the the cost.