Popular music video confuses many

Photo by Alec Youngblood

Students have mixed opinions about this newly popular music video.

Drew Maiers

On Sept. 3,  Bergan and Bard Ylvisaker also known as Ylvis released a comical and corky video by the name of “What does the Fox Say?” or “The Fox”.  It is unique music, and more notably the video caught the eye of millions. Skyrocketing the video in the charts the video achieved 75 million views in less than a month. It made people all over the world chuckle watching these two Swedes bounce around in cheap fox costumes making faulty imitation sounds to get to the bottom of what the fox says.

The most popular question here is how a video like this got it’s internet fame. The reasoning behind this is that the way social media works it spread like a virus hitting a record 12 million views in under a week. One example of a opinion of the video moments after watching it for the first time was senior Sara Ackermann.

Ackermann said,  “ It’s confusing, but I liked the song and would listen to it again. It cracks me up.”

Some students remain baffled at the reasoning behind the video and in what context it has to it. To answer that the video was originally made to promote the Ylvisaker brothers television show “I Kveld Med Ylvis” or in English “Tonight With Ylvis” so the video itself has a valid explanation, but a student that doesn’t see it that way is junior Benton Happel.

Happel said “I dislike the video. There is no point to it, no reason to make a song like that but it is kind of funny.”

People tend to have a very definite love hate relationship with “The Fox” loving its uniqueness and comedy, but dreading it is eventual annoyance and repetition. The youtube video has a 90-10 percent like to unlike ratio, favoring the likes. The type of people more probable to unlike the video are people like sophomore Ace Oubaha.

Oubaha said ,“It’s weird, much weirder than I thought that it would be, progressively. Not good music, but still gets stuck in your head.”

The general consensus is that this is a video that more unique qualities overlook the general repetitive and annoying aspects of it, and all in all its a enjoyable video to watch. It is that type of video that would be watched sitting down with friends and family, but still would glare at anyone whistling it in your math class.