Seniors prepare for graduation ceremony

Olivia Braun

More stories from Olivia Braun

Photo submitted by Rachel Anselmo

Students throw caps into the air as they finish graduation. Moments like these are important for seniors

The senior class prepares to end their high school journeys as this year’s graduation approaches quickly. The annual ceremony requires a lot of planning and preparation by both students and staff. 

Rachel Anselmo, the assistant to the principal, is in charge of preparing for graduation. She has a multitude of tasks to complete including organizing caps, gowns, cords, tickets for the ceremony, floral arrangements, student speakers, Valley Access live stream and much more. 

“Our two big events prior to the ceremony itself will be cap and gown distribution and graduation practice. The biggest and most time-consuming pieces for the ceremony are the list of student names in the graduation programs and the seating chart for the ceremony,” Anselmo said. This year’s cap and gown will occur on May 25 in the main forum. 

Anselmo said a new update to this year’s ceremony is that “ASL interpreters will be at the ceremony to interpret for any students or audience members who may need their services”. 

The student council has also planned a few events to wish the seniors farewell including senior sunset, senior picnic and the senior class all-night party. The annual class party will take place from 9 pm to 2 am on June 10 at Pinz Bowling Alley. 

“We just had our senior sunset as a sort of send-off to the seniors and after graduation practice, we will host a senior picnic,” student council president Iliana Balok said. The graduation practice will be held June 8 in the gymnasium. 

Seniors also had the opportunity to be involved in the planning of the graduation ceremony. Principal Rob Bach shared that he met with the senior class to get their opinion on what they want included for their high school send-off. 

“We had a big meeting back in the middle of April and that’s where I gave seniors a lot of information and told them all the details and behind-the-scenes stuff, where we go, time, date, all that kind of thing. I also asked them for some feedback too on elements of the ceremony. So they have the opportunity to vote on our faculty, they have an opportunity to select a motto. They have the opportunity to audition to be the class speaker if they want. So all of those things are pieces that they are involved in planning,” Bach explained. 

It is a time of change and taking a step into your future which can be scary, especially if you’re leaving behind your home or friends. It is also exhilarating because everything is changing. I will definitely be sad to go but even more excited for what is to come.

— Iliana Balok

The senior class has built a strong community in the last four years, but now they are leaving to start their future lives. The overall student dynamic will change next year as this year’s seniors graduate. 

“It takes people a while to grow into leadership roles and you know, your senior class evolves a little bit over time, but this particular senior class has done a great job providing leadership. We’ve had a great school year and great school years don’t happen unless you have a really, really good senior class,” Bach added. 

This year’s senior class faced some challenges in high school as their freshman and sophomore years were strongly affected by Covid. Their first two years of high school were unconventional and pushed them to complete school work online while missing out on normal school experiences. 

“Although the year online was not a typical year, I still have experienced everything high school has had to offer from dances to sports games, from ap testing to act testing, I think I’ve experienced it all,” Balok explained. 

Each year, graduation is a bittersweet moment as many students will leave their friends, family and their home state for college or work. Senior signing day is occurring on Thurs. May 25 in the upper rotunda. Seniors will wear college gear to display their decisions for the next four years. 

“It is a time of change and taking a step into your future which can be scary, especially if you’re leaving behind your home or friends. It is also exhilarating because everything is changing. I will definitely be sad to go but even more excited for what is to come,” Balok said. 

Lots of anticipation surrounds this year’s ceremony as school ends next month. Graduation is a very important and respected event for the community. Seniors and staff have spent that last year preparing the best they can for the big event and for their futures. 

“It is bittersweet, I am really excited about starting life in college but I will definitely miss my high school friends and teachers. One of the benefits of being student council president is that I have been a part of every school event, and in doing so I have gotten everything out of high school that I can. I overall feel ready to graduate,” Balok added.