Ryan Jensen makes impact within music department

Photo by Lavender Schleder

Orchestra Teacher Ryan Jensen conducts the Varsity Orchestra in small groups while they complete a playing assessment. Many of these students have been positively impacted by Jensen’s passion and dedication for music, making orchestra a welcoming space.

Lavender Schleder, Social Media Editor

Ryan Jensen is the orchestra teacher for the Symphonic, Varsity and Concert Orchestras. This will be his 23rd year playing the viola, and nine years of teaching orchestra, for two of those years he has been working at the high school.

His journey started back when he was in fourth grade. It was required for him to choose an instrument to play and because his brother had picked the viola, Jensen thought it would be a good idea to play it as well. From there, he improved immensely and soon fell in love with the instrument, continuing up into high school.

When he entered college at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, he was not sure what he wanted to pursue. But once things started rolling, he found himself participating in more and more musical activities, getting invited to play at events, and finally declaring a minor in music. He felt that after all of those years, “orchestra had become [his] life” and he wanted to keep it that way.

Now he has become a teacher, working with his co-worker, Kent Musser, another orchestra teacher who teaches the Philharmonic Orchestra. Musser is impressed with Jensen’s drive and passion for music, which he believes helps contribute to his skills as a teacher.

I’m just kind of young at heart. I feel like I’m active and involved in a bunch of different things. I’m not afraid to be a nerd when I have to be. I just have a pretty diverse resume, which really helps me connect with students in a lot of different ways.

— Ryan Jensen

He speaks to the kids in a way that is very engaging and understandable. He just has a great energy and enthusiasm for music and the students really pick up on that,” Musser said. “I’m inspired by the way he runs a rehearsal, and he’s just got great knowledge about how the music should sound.”

Not only are other teachers influenced by his teaching, but so are his students. Junior violist Jonathan Sutterfield has enjoyed Jensen’s class since Sutterfield came to the high school and he has not only acquired many skills since joining, but also has appreciated being a member of the orchestra community.

“I’ve always felt like I was welcomed in his class,” Sutterfield said. “Sometimes he will tell you that you need to work on some things. Sometimes he will call you out for certain things, but he always does it in the nicest way possible, which I really like. And even when things are going bad, he addresses them in the most professional manner.”

Besides Musser and Sutterfield, there are dozens of others Jensen has positively affected over the years. Because of all of his experiences, Jensen reflects on the way he has tried to understand and be there for his students.

“I’m just kind of young at heart. I feel like I’m active and involved in a bunch of different things. I’m not afraid to be a nerd when I have to be. I just have a pretty diverse resume, which really helps me connect with students in a lot of different ways,” Jensen said.

Jensen has a passion for music and brings the love of music to those around him, which makes him such an inspirational teacher. Because of this, it makes the orchestra community feel more connected and whole as a group, creating a strong pocket of the student body.

“I love music,” Jensen said. “I will always want to use my platform as a way to say that music is an amazing thing and it should never be overlooked.”