New flagship Schmitt Music store opens in Bloomington

Photo submitted by Keith Hilson

This is one of the many showrooms within the new Schmitt Music store that opened. In this particular room, there is a vast selection of trumpets.

Paige Van Duyne, Broadcast Editor

Schmitt Music opened a new flagship store in Bloomington on Nov. 1. This new store is a staple for music lovers in the area, especially those with a passionate interest in instruments.

Schmitt Music has a wide selection of music throughout the store. No matter if it is an instrument, sheet music, or a private lesson, it is all available within the store. Senior Jocelyn McBride said,“I think accessibility is a key factor in determining ability to accomplish, and so a music store near us is important to allowing more students the benefits of music.” Whether being a professional or just starting out with an instrument, this store provides just the right variation of instruments for everyone.

The chain store focuses on its wide selection of brass, string and percussion instruments and accessories. The store is kept clean and organized, which allows for an easy shopping experience while browsing through their vast selection. “If you’re a clarinet player, we have our clarinet gallery. Everything you need as a clarinet player is going to be all in one space. By having these huge shops that we’ve designed specifically, it allows us a better way to have everything laid out so that we have spaces for all of our different things. Whether it’s instruments, whether it be reeds, accessories, everything the player needs.” said Keith Hilson Director of Low Brass Sales. The arrangement of the store keeps customers engaged and unstressed when shopping for different items.

By having these huge shops that we’ve designed specifically, it allows us a better way to have everything laid out so that we have spaces for all of our different things. Whether it’s instruments, whether it be reeds, accessories, everything the player needs.

— Keith Hilson

Their showrooms feature several “shop-in-a-shop” concepts that are designed to reflect the personality of each instrument. Individualized rooms include those for saxophones, flutes, clarinets, trombones and trumpets.”We were able to design the space so that we can have the products that we want to have, that we can show them off a lot better and that we can have a better space to try them out, for customers to come in and get a feel for them.” said Alec Austin Retail Store Manager. The atmosphere while shopping in these rooms creates an intimate experience as the instruments’ characters are being brought to life.

Performers often come and play throughout the day, building to the mood of the store. Recently they had Ronald Romm and Twin Cities Trumpet Ensemble perform. Listening to a concert while shopping can provide guests with inspiration while browsing products. Hilson said, “over the past two weeks, we have had at least four different instrument performances occurring in our space, whether in our shops or in our brand new concert hall, and absolutely, as a part of that we’ve actually seen an increase in folks coming in not only to just, be at the event, but then of course because they are musicians themselves.” They also offer different workshop events that are taught by masters including trombone expert, John Fedchock. 

With their wide range of instruments to buy, astounding performers to watch and endless things to learn, there is something for everyone. The Schmitt Music store is a captivating place for creative musical minds of all ages.