Birthdays get creative despite COVID-19 restrictions

Cassidy Gilliam, Photography Editor

Despite COVID-19 restrictions, students are still finding ways to celebrate birthdays. With ideas ranging from Zoom calls to parades, students have gotten creative for their special day. 

One idea senior Chasia Riddle found successful was having her party outdoors. They took many precautions and were careful about how much the guests and hosts came into contact with each other. She was also careful if someone needed to go inside for the restroom or any other reason. Guests were asked to wear a mask at all times indoors and hand sanitizer was placed at the entrance.

“All of the food was intentionally separate and my mom wore gloves which she wouldn’t normally do,” Riddle explained. She said that while they were not super strict about disinfecting and staying clean while inside, guests were expected to “be considerate and wear a mask” when entering the house.

Another idea many people have tried is the drive-by parade to celebrate. Alumni Grace May held one and had a lot of fun with it.

May explained how she stood in her driveway while friends and family drove down her street and threw candy at her. “My cousin actually sprayed me with Silly String,” May said. 

“It was really upsetting that I couldn’t be with the people I love and care about on my special day, but in the end, all that mattered was that I got to spend it with my family.”

— Camille King

May’s celebration was actually a surprise. She had no idea what was happening when her parents took her outside on her special day.

“My mom and dad set it up. They must’ve texted or emailed people because I did not know what was going on,” May said.

A third idea students have used is a Zoom call party with family members. Junior Camille King gathered up her closest family in one call and celebrated there instead of in-person.

“We were all talking, and having fun. It was my sweet sixteen, and they sang to me and I blew out my candles on the cake so it was just really special,” King said. “It was really upsetting that I couldn’t be with the people I love and care about on my special day, but in the end, all that mattered was that I got to spend it with my family.

However, not everybody in King’s family was too happy with the idea. Her grandparents found it very confusing and hard to figure out.

“They thought it was weird, and they didn’t really know how to act. They couldn’t figure out their computer, and they didn’t really know where to go since they’ve never used Zoom before,” King added.

All in all, birthdays can still be fun and special despite the precarious situation. Creativity really shines through the minds of youth in their community.