Karlen commits to Marquette

Photo by Sadie Heiren

Senior Liza Karlen drives into the other player to try to block a shot. They were playing Shakopee last year.

Anthony Toscano, Sports Editor

Senior Liza Karlen, has made a big impact on the girls varsity basketball team. It was her first year on the team and a lot of people were in disbelief on her season last year.

After transferring to Stillwater Area High School her junior year from St. Paul Central, Karlen brought major versatility and height to an already strong team. Karlen committed to the University of Marquette, a Division 1 school in Milwaukee. Karlen and the rest of the team hope to have similar success as last year’s season.

She was the main part of our team.

— Abby Scheel

After her amazing season with averaging 12.3 points per game along with averaging 10.4 rebounds per game, Karlen committed to Marquette to pursue her basketball career.

Senior Abby Scheel said, “I think that it is a great opportunity for her and she worked hard to get where she is today,” junior Lizzie Dorschner added. “I think she was the main part of our team.  She played hard every game and at every practice with hopes she can play at the college level one day.”

Last year was Karlen’s first year on the team after transferring from Saint Paul Central. Last year, the team went to the championship game for the state title.

“It was kind of hard at first, especially because Stillwater is a lot bigger than Central. But, it had to be done!  I mean, at Central we never got past the first round of sections. And last year, Stillwater went all the way to the championship. I couldn’t stay at Central,” Karlen said.

“I think she brought the team together, made the team work better together and have a great season,” Scheel added.

As well as the captain for the basketball team, Karlen is the captain of the swim and dive team. The swim and dive team has not lost a meet since 2003.

“I’m really thankful for the opportunity. I mean, the swim and dive team is a great program to be a part of,” Karlen said.

Her hard work and dedication to the team had an positive impact on the team and now she can do those same things in Marquette.

“I think she became a very skilled and all around good player and she deserved that 100 percent,” Dorschner added.