916 Career in Tech program creates new opportunities

Photo by Zach Johnson

Students from the 916 career in tech program work on taking apart a car engine for their class. The 916 program keeps students more engaged in their learning compared to a normal classroom setting, which gives students a boost of experience going into college.

The 916 career in tech is a program offered to students to help to prepare for a career outside of high school before  graduation. The program allows students to attend courses not offered to students at the high school. This better prepares students for the field they are going into. The district pays for the transportation of students to the 916 program.

This provides students with the opportunity to study the field of their choosing. At the same time the the school is not generating as much revenue from students taking less classes at the high school and more at Century college.

Knowing what to do after high school can be difficult, but by taking the 916 students are well educated in specific career clusters that will help them go into a field they have interest and experience in.

“916 current tech would be a really good option for senior year, then you know what to do after graduation, you could either continue on with certain programs depending on what is at Century College, or some could go to university after,” counselor Jeremy Baldwin said.

On average a student will spend half their day at Century college and the other half attending classes at the high school. This provides the student with the necessary classes to graduate, and also allows them to dive deep into a certain career choice instead of taking normal electives such as a language.  

“For the last couple years, the construction trade ones have actually built a house and I think in one semester or one year, but the house that they built a few years ago, sold for $306,000, which is not an inexpensive house by any means,” Baldwin said.

916 current tech would be a really good option for senior year, then you know what to do after graduation, you could either continue on with certain programs depending on what is at Century College, or some could go to university after.

— Jeremy Baldwin

The program overall creates an overall positive learning experience and environment for students.

Senior Zach Sessing said, “The 916 allows me to meet other kids from different schools, have time to get food after class, and get to sleep in.” He added he recommends the program to anyone interested.

To get into the 916 program, students need to apply with an application from their counselor. This helps to make sure students are committed to the program and know the responsibility that will be given to them.

“It’s pretty simple, it’s not like an essay or anything, students just kind of know that when they go into the system, they select numbers, like for your English, or math or science, there’s a number for 916 career in tech, and you just put that number down, and that puts out a list and then you turn in the application,” Baldwin said.

Although the 916 career in tech program has a lot of positives one negative to the program is the funding is affected for the high school because the school does not bring in as much revenue.

“there is no cost to the district for students participating in 916 programs.  Rather, it is simply a loss of revenue for the district. In other words, a student who participates in 916 generates less revenue for the district than does a non-916, full-time student,” Baldwin said.

The 916 provides academic opportunity different from any high school class and is a “phenomenal program” according to the 916 Principal, Jill Stewart.