Bustan and Vezina Sign with D1 Colleges

Photo courtesy Sue Vezina

Senior girls hockey captain Jane Vezina shooting a slapshot agaisnt opposing team Lakeville.

Shelby Kadlec

Many sports players in high school have considered playing their sport in college.  Stillwater Area High School graduate Sara Bustad and senior Jane Vezina told us all about what goes into the process.

Colleges can start approaching high school students in their junior and senior year.

“Schools mainly started approaching me this season,” said Vezina.

At any point in their high school career students can reach out to schools they are interested in by calling or leaving voice mails.

Bustad said, “I’ve always wanted to play hockey in college.  When I was in high school I was calling a variety different schools every week.”

Colleges can also talk about students and their future with their current coach, or any coach they have worked with.

“When colleges come to talk to me, usually after games, they ask me my interest in that certain school and what the future would be if I did choose that school.  We also discuss times for me to come and visit the school campus and also meet current players,” said Vezina.

Bustad explained that there are many NCAA rules.  Depending on how old the recruits are vary how they can be contacted.

“When I was younger they could only send letters,” said Bustad.

After verbally deciding to play for Minnesota State University Mankato Bustad said, “It took a couple of months before I was able to sign the papers in November of her senior year.”

She added, “The main reason I chose MSU is because it is in WCHA.  The WCHA is the best league in women’s hockey.  It was also the closest to my home, which meant a lot to my parents, especially my father who comes out to see my games almost every weekend.”

Bustad and Vezina both said that finally deciding on a school is difficult because there are many things that go into the decision.

Vezina said, “There are many things that go into the final decision, right now my top choice is St. Olaf, but that is depending on a lot of things and can change instantly.”

Some students may feel they do not have a chance playing at a division one school or playing a sport in college at all.  If colleges are not approaching students, the students need to approach them.

“Don’t sit back and wait for somebody else to help you, it won’t happen.  Reach out to the coaches and put yourself out there, that is when you will see results,” said Bustad.

Signing with a division one school takes a lot of discussion with coaches, parents and counselors.  Students who are interested should be keeping their options open and researching different colleges.

“Playing D1 hockey has always been my dream and I’m so happy that it came true,” said Bustad.

Although it is a process and takes a lot of thinking, Bustad said, “Go after your dreams and make them happen.”

When athletes decide whether or not to play a sport in college, they should research their options and keep an open mind.  They should reach out to colleges and make the effort to figure out what they want for their future.