Quick takes over debate team as head coach

Kenzie Coyle, Layout Editor

Debate team meets Monday-Friday in both flex room and Quick's room. “If there's any change, it's a bigger emphasis on recruiting,” Quick says.

After six years of being coached by Laura Hammond, the debate team has a new head coach, English teacher Corey Quick.

As the debate season begins, the team members are adjusting to the differences between Quick and former head coach, Hammond. While Hammond is still helping out, she has stepped back from the head coach position, giving Quick the opportunity to be head coach for this year.

“We have a really successful team, second last year in state at the varsity level,” Quick said.

We have a really successful team, second last year in state at the varsity level. You don’t mess with what’s working.”

— Corey Quick

Last year at the Classic Minnesota Debate Tournament Stillwater took second in the varsity division. In the novice division, two Stillwater teams tied for first and agreed to split the championship. The debate team took second overall.

“If there’s any change, it’s a bigger emphasis on recruiting,” Quick said.

Since the high school now has freshman, high school clubs and activities now have more access to the ninth graders which will allow them to be involved with something like debate for four years rather than only three.

Junior Cecilia Montufar said, “Coaching style isn’t what matters as much as the way they run practices, and it definitely is a little different. Quick’s a little more easy going, but Hammond’s still really involved, and I definitely like the way it’s going so far.”

At debate tournaments, coaches are usually judging other rounds or in the tab room. So coaches aren’t really able to “coach” their debaters during tournaments. This makes the way coaches run practice all the more important.

“I have valued Mr.Quick’s organizational approach,” Hammond said.

Hammond stepped back into an assistant coach position in order to focus more on growing the Stillwater speech team, giving Quick the opportunity to be head coach. According to students and Hammond, Quick is very organized and is running the team well.

This year’s debate season has begun with a change in leadership and with that a necessity for adjustment.

Kenzie Coyle, Layout Editor
Kenzie Coyle is a junior at Stillwater Area high school. In newspaper she works as a Layout editor. She writes for the people category. She plays clarinet for  Wind Ensemble band for Stillwater. Outside of school she dances for Woodbury dance centre. She enjoys dancing tap, jazz, lyrical, and pom. She one day hopes to...

2 Responses to “Quick takes over debate team as head coach”

1. Susan hubbard on November 7th, 2017 7:56 am

The headline was a little confusing. Story was ordered well. The quotes were strong.

2. Luke Higgins on November 11th, 2017 2:32 pm

The article was interesting but at some points I got bored and my attention was lost. It was still a good story just maybe needed a little more content.

• Quick takes over debate team as head coach

Football field movie night brings students together

Featured Videos

First ever girls ultimate frisbee team emerges

School experiments with after school A La Carte option

“Wait, are you the Rock girl?” Katie Kelzenberg’s promposal garners big attention

Jumping into spring with ninth, tenth grade formal

April 20 walkout marks 19 year anniversary of Columbine

Prom committee plans for a night in the roaring twenties

Remembering Parkland victims with walkout, demanding safety

School Board postpones discussion on school start times

WALKOUT: SAHS walks out to remember Parkland victims